• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Industrial drills with morse shanks $500.00 Calgary

Says 49 drills in total. Then two dozen.

Most of my larger drills are MT taper shank. The MT3 goes to around 1 1/8 inch. MT4 over 1 1/2 but less then 2.

so - here goes - if it were a high quality branded drill set or even a mix, the seller would have mention the name(s). No names, no go. At 10$ per drill and likely Indian made, I wouldn't even call him, as it is most likely a crap deal.

If it were legit, you'd see Cleveland, Dormer, or even some of the better boutique names.

I have an offshore set ending in 3/4 that cost me 40 bucks, or about 5 bucks per drill: and they are hard, and cut well.

Also seller has no pictures? Why?

Off shore stuff can be good - I got a great deal on a set of reduced shank drills ending in 1", starting at 9/16 by 16th. Cuts well. Paid like $3 per drill. It was miss-represented at auction.

So what is the application for these? Is it just easier to switch drill sizes if you are doing multiple holes and multiple sizes on a bunch of pieces more of an industrial setting or is it more ridgid because its all one piece?
The guy has 3 things listed and no pictures on any but he has been on for 11 years.
In my recent searches I am seeing a lot more stuff coming out of the back of the farm or the backyard and some of the stuff is in pretty rough shape.

@Tom Kitta I did mention my offshore ones were good. My point was that it was a bad deal at 10$+ per drill.

@combustable herbage These are very good for drilling using your tailstock. I recently drilled a 15/16 hole in some steel in one pass on my 12" lathe after setting the start with a centre drill. The system has maximum rigidity, which results in faster, cleaner and more accurate cutting.

I needed an accurate 1" hole. so I drilled it 1/16 undersize and bored the rest. made the job a snap.

The price varies with size of course, if you need a 2 1/2" drill (for the plant) you're in for some sticker shock. I've run around paying $30 per drill for various taper shanks (quality brands) and thinking myself bloody lucky to have dogged a $500 bullet (or whatever). The other thing is how much is left in them? near new or ground down to a stub?

Sometimes sellers are too lazy to market properly, or just don't get it that one brand would command a different price than another. Clueless doesn't care assistant told to put them on kijiji syndrome. The way the poster goes on to describe they use suggests to me a seller perhaps not knowledgeable about drills. All speculation though.

PS, just noticed the ad removed the "use instructions" and now notes not made in China. Perhaps they are watching? :) If they were newish say dormer and a complete run it might be a good deal, but for me taper shanks don't add much value <1/2". Like all things there's the price that makes you hop in the car whether you need them or not, and price that looks pretty darn good after filling up the cart at kbc. I mostly try and buy like the former and sell like the later :)

Bigger sizes like 2" and up in MT5 used are not very cheap - on auction if no one fights too hard they usually go for around 25 each - double that if pp fight for it. Plus shipping and fees.

As for use - just as Dabbler said - they are rigid and do not slip. Most pp have chucks that can take 1/2 shank - or max 5/8. The largest chucks I have are at 1". Thus to drill with 1" drill bit you need a shank reducer to just 1/2" to make it worth for most pp. That is a big drop in size - from 1" to 1/2". Not very rigid. Also there is a good chance to spin the shank.

For big holes I am usually careful - I center drill with 3/4 center and then drill 1". After that I usually move up in 1/4 sizes or so. Most machines claim max drilling capacity for steel that is at the very limit & that limit is for *mild* steel. I guess I am conservative.

Back