• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

I'm looking for a M20 x 1.0 locknut 8mm or thiner

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I'm looking for a M20 x 1.0 locknut 8mm or thinner, if wider I can shorten it.

Anyone happen to have one floating around?

McMaster-carr has, but I would imagine after shipping the $3 nut is going to be $30

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Do you mean a regular nut or maybe a bearing nut (with the typical notches on OD). I was just hunting around for bearing nut myself recently. Scads of them on AliExpress but almost everything is 1.5 pitch at that diameter for some reason. MCM seems to have a better selection than most in the fine/1mm pitch, but like you say, probably expensive shipping for a 1-off.

For a regular hex nut, these are on Ali. Cheap shipping but longer delivery, choose your poison.
1718669864712.png

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm looking for a M20 x 1.0 locknut 8mm or thinner, if wider I can shorten it.

Anyone happen to have one floating around?

McMaster-carr has, but I would imagine after shipping the $3 nut is going to be $30

Sometimes you just have to think that your nut is a really expensive essential part of the machine. It certainly isn't going to work without it. Looking at it that way, the shipping isn't so bad.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Thanks for the responses.

+ I have a locknut, however it's about twice as thick as the original and can't really be made thinner because of the set screw.

+ I also have thinner ones on order, however it could be a couple of weeks before they arrive.

This morning I simply turned about 0.08" off the top of the gear so now I can use the thicker locknut I already have. The gear does not make contact at the top anyway so that was the quick and easy solution. I expected the gear to be pretty hard, but it cut like butter with a carbide insert, much softer than the ballscrew that's for sure.

As my late great dad often reminded me "There's more than one way to skin a cat" I will spend the $30 on something more useful than a nut.

_IMG_1154.JPG

Last edited: