• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

I’m a Greenhorn

Mary900RR

Brand New Member
Hello all, I’m Randy M., from North Western Ontario, (Thunder Bay to be exact). I Just purchased my first metal lathe, an Atlas 10”.
Model #: H48
Serial #: 021827

It came in decent running condition, unfortunately there wasn’t a lot of tooling & accessories.
Like No QCGB, there was only 2 change gears w/ it, so I’m finishing up purchasing a Set, 1 gear at a time. I bought an aftermarket milling attachment, and I built an Adapter Plate to mount it. I Bought an ER 32, round, Collet set, to hold my end mills, (I’m hoping to be repairing and/or working on long guns soon). Everything was running smoothly until,,
On my counter shaft, the double shiv,(pulley), is wobbling badly. So I ordered another new/used part. It’s taking forever to get shipped even..?
I was thinking of trying to repair the original, wobbling double shiv.? The bore is where the problem lies. I was hoping one of you Experienced members might have some advice? Can I enlarge the bore?, (drill out the bore to a larger diameter), then either sleeve it,, or press in a solid piece of,,?, maybe brass? Then drill that out and finish to exact size w/ a Ream to finished size.??

Thanks; Randy M.

P.S. any & all advice is welcome

Proxule

Ultra Member
It’s taking forever to get shipped even..?

Can I enlarge the bore?, (drill out the bore to a larger diameter),
Howdy, welcome to the forum. I would of bored your pulley out but I see you are in Ontarible.
I am sure some one will chime in and assist or perhaps you can bore it out your self.

I would aim for a common size to enlarge the offending ID- Making sure to dial in the V grove of the pulley so they pulley OD and the new ID of the pulley are concentric. Otherwise its easy peasy, Just have to make the new sleeve and press it in or locktite even.

Post some pictures, Lets get this machine running!
gluck!