• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Harrison universal milling machine (perfect size for home shop) $1,600

Toronto, ON

b020fbf2-7662-4abe-aac2-865a735fcebf

Can't say I remember the last time I saw a home shop with 550V 3ph... :p

Description​

Harrison universal milling machine including valuable vertical head hung on cleverly made jib crane attached to machine for easy change from vertical to horizontal mode. Head rotates (ry) and table rotates (rz) for 3 screw driven axis x,y,z + 2 adjustable axis ry,rz. Bed is 8” x 30”. Table driven in X direction and includes set of table change gears. Ways are not worn. Machine was 575v (existing wiring available but mostly removed) and needs to be converted to 220v for home use. Photo of 2HP motor plate shown if you want to get rewound (I can tell you where to go) to 220v + a VFD, otherwise I have a new 3ph Franklin motor that I may sell. If you have everything needed it would be a weekend project to get running. I just never got around to finishing this great project and now I need the room. Comes on a shop Fox rolling stand so easy to move. Clutch in rear activated by large handle. Small footprint (see beer can for perspective) yet incredibly robust. Comes with copy of Harrison manual (parts diagrams/list, maintenance and operation). See youtube for CNC conversions of machine. More details below. History, design and data http://www.lathes.co.uk/harrisonmiller/ CNC conversion (andy open to sharing design)
Cutting

argh. another dream machine on the wrong cost. at some point in time I might just have to load up an entire container of equipment from there and ship it all here. I hope one of you gets it.

Can't say I remember the last time I saw a home shop with 550V 3ph... :p

Come on over for look anytime you like :)

Its not that crazy difficult, homemade rotary phase converter then backwards through a 3P 600-220 transformer. Common materials, did it all used/surplus for about $800. I this era, with lower cost VFDs, I'd go 1P 220-600 (use say an auto transformer, one winding so lower cost and you can find them used) then into a VFD. Better and perhaps cheaper than changing out motors.

Point being its not that big a stretch to power 600V machines, and it opens up so many more opportunities...so don't let that stop you :)

That thing's cool looking. I don't know when I would ever use a rotating table, but I want it....
The advantage of it is it lets you hob gears. To hob, the motion of the table must be set to the helix angle of the hob. Of course the spindle rotation and gear blank must be coordinated, but that no longer requires a million gears.....you can electronically couple the spindle and work axis. The late (and great) John Stevenson put together a nifty set up for example, at one point it was document in video.

Another nice little Horizontal that's local for a good price..... Hopefully next spring I'll get some conrete down finally on a shop/shed expansion and have some space to stick a few more goodies like this.

Funny... Ask and the universe provides. I did notice that Keith Rucker posted the very same procedure on his youtube channel yesterday. I'm a long ways away from attempting something like this myself...

That;s another great use for swivel table, its the same set up to cut say a flute in a drill blank; helical milling.

just for posterity....that is a quite different process from what I was suggesting - hobbing. The method he shows approximates the gear tooth (which may or may not be adequate) whereas hobbing is true generation. With hobbing, The table is only every swung to, and must be at, the hob's helix angle, a fairly small but small but crucial angle (if you want a helical gear you angle the work axis relative to the table axis). The the spindle rpm's and work rotation have to be synched. That is a such gnarly complex bit of gearing you didn't used to see many trying to hob on a mill, but electronics changed and a few brave souls have done wonders with it....an encoder on the spindle and stepper on the work and a bit of calculation does the trick

The late John Stevenson did a lot of work in this area and published a bunch material. Here's what a hob looks like. table is at a slight angle - that pattern on the hob is a helix, and the table angle is the helix angle...like a rack profile wrapped around a cylinder..

btw, you can do the same with vertical mill (tilt the head to the helix angle), its just not as solid.

This is all John's work and photos, not mine

colchester feed gear8.jpg

work and cutter rotation is coordinated - cut is just staring here

colchester feed gear5.jpg

shot showing how it works

hob indexer4.jpg

for a helical gear, angle the work relative to the table motion (table is already swung over by the helix angle of the hob)

hob indexer16.jpg
hob indexer11.jpg

Last edited:
Back