• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Good for a Laugh: Standard-Modern 12x30 Lathe, Lethbridge AB, $7500.

306163343_5326983107429012_8332576371090187406_n.jpg

A bargain at twice the price!

EDIT: a new 1440 SM is about 30k, and i wouldn't sell my Emco V13 for 10k, might not be a horrible deal. 5k-6k in todays market might not be absurd.

Darren, that’s pretty much what I was going to say. Yes, it’s brutal to think these once $1200 used lathes have gone up in price. What’s out there, that’s not Chinese, comparable in class and quality? Don’t know, I’ve been looking.

Some guys aren't evil about their pricing. They do a quick google and set the price accordingly (discordantly
;)?)

When he gets no nibbles or the low-ballers, he might reconsider.

She's probably been bugging him to sell it and get it out of the garage, so he finally said fine, just list it for $7500.

I knew guys that would "sell" bikes like that. "Yes honey, it's for sale, I'm trying to get rid of them........"

I'm not sure how these people figure out how to set the price of some of this stuff ???

I brouse Kijiji & ebay daily , certain items catch my eye , like the above mentioned lathe. I always check to see the other items they may or may not have for sale .
It's not unusual to see a "flipper" that has a machine tool or accessory for sale at an unusually high price and the other shit they have up for sale might be knitting supplies , old stinky magazines from the 50's and junk found at a garage sale for equally inflated amounts.
There's one ebay seller I see sometimes with cool machinist stuff and the listing shows the item at $37.50 but the shipping is $142.89

Last edited:
A bargain at twice the price!

EDIT: a new 1440 SM is about 30k, and i wouldn't sell my Emco V13 for 10k, might not be a horrible deal. 5k-6k in todays market might not be absurd.
Sold my 9" SM for a little over 3 grand with a bunch of updates/upgrades (QCTP and a bunch of carbide insert tooling, Single phase conversion with brand new 3/4hp motor, etc etc). Maybe 4500-5k for a 12"?

Yah, prices are sure crazy but they are what they are. David is right about this one. If it’s high quality and relatively rare, it’s going to fetch some good coin no matter the condition. Some refurb work would make it sell fast.

Back