• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

General,Question On Deals

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
General question:

I‘m always on the lookout for interesting / cheap / oddball machinery, so I look at a bunch of local buy & sell forums. I post to < Member Spotted Deals> things that look like a good deal, or interesting items. I usually don’t post stuff that’s priced stupidly, like the all-to-common 7x12 lathe priced more than new, or the also-typical used BB machine at 5% less than new.

So, am I being snippy by ignoring the obviously over-priced stuff?

Your thoughts?

General question:

I‘m always on the lookout for interesting / cheap / oddball machinery, so I look at a bunch of local buy & sell forums. I post to < Member Spotted Deals> things that look like a good deal, or interesting items. I usually don’t post stuff that’s priced stupidly, like the all-to-common 7x12 lathe priced more than new, or the also-typical used BB machine at 5% less than new.

Your thoughts?
not at all. You're not snippy, you have discerning tastes

I have tons of alerts on kijiji and see all sorts of equipment I dont post to these forums cause it is crap....

I do like to see oddball stuff even if it is not an obvious deal, especially hard to find items

Lots of times I don't know if it's a deal or not (I know my price point), but lathes/mills/shapers are hard to find in Western Canada so I post those regardless.

Last edited:
I see no harm in posting interesting machines regardless of the asking price. A lot of times people will get pricing "advice" from those who can't spell lathe. If the machine looks interesting there is no harm in posting or calling. If you have cost comparables then the seller may come down to a reasonable price.

I am going to have to follow what you post than whydontu, as I am also in the Vancouver area. I always look at the great old English mills on the store.lathes.co.uk and dream about shipping one over (although not practical). Would love to get a solid old mill, small but built like a tank.

General question:

Your thoughts?

What does snippy mean? Jk!

I don't think so at all. Personally, I appreciate the filtering. Others might want to see everything. I think you should post what you feel like posting, and I also think that everyone (even those who might want more) appreciate what ever you do post.

Back