• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Gantry crane at auction near Edmonton

I certainly wouldn’t get anywhere near that with 1 ton on it. Take a look at the »braces » on the left side of the upright. They don’t even connect at the same spot on the upright. The I beam is realistically only capable of 250 lb maximum. it might be worth buying for the chain hoist and the scrap metal value, but that is all.

The part at the bottom where the wheels attach on the left side of the "gantry crane" looks twisted in one of the pictures. Could just be the picture.

Most quality cranes are set for stiffness not strength - i.e. you do not want too much flex.

8 foot span nice and stiff would be 8in I beam. Here span is more like 6ft using triangles and the I beam is at most 6" maybe 5". So at 2t it would be a bit springy. More like 1t.

Note that the castors are not used for support but moving - cheap castors are not good at supporting weight.

You can always check the crane against commercial stuff - say vs. PA 1t crane. Knowing PA the 1t they have is close to minimum.

Back