• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Free shipping till May 15

May I ask the details of your purchase? I ordered my 3PH stuff from factory direct automation 3 years ago and I took a killing on the exchange and shipping....

I bought a 3ph 1.5 hp motor and 2hp Teco VFD for my mill. $528 plus $63.49 in taxes.

Wow. People... pay money for motors, especially 3ph? Unless desperate for specific size there is little need to pay much for them.

I have few 3ph motors and some 1ph - usually 3ph are next to free especially for less then around 5hp. For say 2hp 3ph I would never expect to pay more then around ... hmm 20 CAD?

There was a whole pallet of 10hp 1ph motors that went for around $100 each two days ago. I have some 3hp and 5hp 1ph motors I got for like 20 each - that was a good deal.

I have paid $5 for a 3ph 1hp motor - also a good deal.

I don't buy too many 3ph motors now as I have no where to keep them and they are so hard to sell to anyone beyond scrap value.

The most I paid recently - total over pay but I thought I can use it - was for a brand new 3ph 1hp motor with a brand new reduction gear box - 80 CAD.

Edmonton auction will have around 20 or more smaller motors for sale in 5 days - many with gear boxes.

I live in Victoria where industrial equipment is as rare as hens teeth. Would be nice to have access to auctions etc. Sadly that's not my reality.

I live in Calgary where industrial equipment is even more rare then in BC. Some stuff in Edmonton but nothing even close to the wonderland of Ontario.

I guarantee you that Calgary has more industry than Victoria...

now children...

Tom the difference is that VFD rated motors have a different construction than regular 3PH motors. Yous you CAN use a VFD on a non-inverter rated motor - it will work well. but if you want to go to low RPMs with better torque, and less heating then you have to buy an inverter rated motor.

I have a lot of cheapos too. but when I'm building a setup for a machine I'll be using all the time, I buy an inverter rated motor.

I didn't mean to sound like I was arguing @Tom Kitta, I apologize that it sounded like I was. :(
Its a complete desert here for hobby machinists. Since I started looking for lathes last Sept I've seen three come up for sale in Victoria, One SB 9, A $10,000 Hardinge and a Lantaine. Mills are even more scarce.

What I meant was all of BC - not just Victoria.

There seems to be a lot of confusion as to what "inverter duty really means". It seems that it does not actually mean it is VFD ready in many cases.

Inverter duty is under my "special circumstances" - through there are not that many differences from regular motor - it seems the main aspect is taking the heat at low RPM - whatever the method used to do so - usually heavy insulation.

For true VFD duty it should also have special bearings as well as provision for spikes in voltage as well as some other harmonics protections - depending on whom you ask.

There is also a torque curve difference.

I have few motors marked inverter duty - including my idler for RPC which also happens to be explosion proof. Not that I need it but that is what I got.

I guess the cheap skate in my would simply use over sized motor instead of inverter duty one and if I have to I would add a fan to keep it cool.... but now it is technically "inverter duty" & low efficiency motor ;)

Another fun "duty" is compressor duty motor - this is a regular low efficiency motor - but since its illegal to sell these nowdays they are called "compressor duty". I have one that is rated continous duty & compressor duty that has efficiency of just .67 - I think 1950s are calling and want their motor back ;)

Wow a 10k Hardinge? That sucker better be restored - then it actually would be cheap. I passed on one for 2k that sold few months ago - it was one of their first ones made. Price was OK but I didn't really need one plus after like 65 years it probably was in need of a $10000 refit - I briefly considered it for a CNC machine conversion.... but kits are so... expensive. These machines can be had cheap when they are in need of a restore - once restored they are expensive... you pay for precision that most of us don't need.

Home made simple milling attachment.... but where is the tail? Cold be a good deal depending on condition.

It's a rexcut... worth less than the asking. if no tailstock it's worth very little, about 300 bucks. Sorry if I offend, but rexcut lathes are kinda low quality chinesium. even with a tailstock, yoiu can do better for 7-900 bucks if you wait a little.

- it gives me confidence to ask a stronger price when I sell my 12X37 fully loaded.

Oh I’m not buying it or even considering it. I love my SB 10K. [emoji3590]
It’s a nutty price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That lathe has a Cinicinnati No2 surface grinder vice on it - used for tool bits etc on the Cinicinnati - one of the parts I do not have but will be making - no tail stock - lathe is junk in my opinion, couple hundred for parts. Basically you could only face things and turn short things. I guess you could add a tail stock but unless you got one cheap .....

So this made me think of what this machine really is -
Rex-Cut DF-1240G

This was sold by Grizzly & Busy Bee and is made in Taiwan. Another popular model is DF-1237G aka 12 x 37.
Here is sale evaluation by users - https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/busy-bee-df-1237g-questions.49047/
Around 3000 CAD max.

Note that this is all for a lathe that has a tailstock and maybe 2 chucks and is in good condition, not one turned into a mill.

Lathe is from 1980s so old.

Since this was a grizzly machine some parts may still be available for it.

Here is a video of one running -
Owner claims its better then current imports.

That is one of those import generic type lathes - the two site glasses on the head stock are for the bearings . I was reading up on one of those as I thought the combo metric/imperial cross feed and compound feed dials looked pretty cool - not saying they would work any better. Same type lathe was on sale in Toronto when I bought my lathe for $1800 and it was complete with several attachments. One complaint with them was that to change oil in the bearings you had to pop out the site glasses and if they leak.....well I guess you were SOL. I think they are belt drive with some changing required for speeds? Can't remember....

Back