• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tool Floatlok Vise

Tool

Aliva

Super User
Got around to building a float lock vise. To my surprise it actually works with out jamming up, that was my main worry. It's a welcome addition having a dedicated vise on the drill press.
Plans are available for free on Mr. Pete's Utube channel.

Vise 2.1.jpg

Last edited:

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Nice job, seems like a good idea. I almost always let the work or the vise float, preferred method imo. For safety I do have a large hunk of angle iron clamped to the table so nothing can spin, but this seems a safer method

Aliva

Super User
Did you use Mr Pete’s plans or Quinn’s updated plans.
I used the plans from Mr. Pete. I changed some of the dimensions on the jaws to accommodate the stock that I had on hand. I did see blondihacks made one but never watched the full video. What mods did she make?

djberta

Premium Member
Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I think there were two versions of the float lock. I have an original and there's no quick release.

djberta

Premium Member
I think there were two versions of the float lock. I have an original and there's no quick release.
No expert but I think your right. There is a more simple threaded rod style one and then a ratcheting quick release one. Quinn, mrpete, made the threaded rod one and presso the ratcheting one. I really like the one presso made but it looks like a lot more work, just like the idea of casting, be fun to get back in to casting aluminum. Seeing Aliva's awesome example has me so not decided on which to make. I have been doing the hold the vise while drilling trick for to long, its going to bite me one of these days. Let me rewrite that, its going to bite me again.