• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Fixer-upper lathe Edmonton

Steady rest and gears might be worth something - could be a sweet rebuild if it was sponsored by EvapoRUST. Looks like it has been outside more than I have.....

Yikes, even the link belt looks like it is 20 years old. I am amazed that it moves like the seller is stating.

Wait, it is the same model that sold today for $2500 in about the same condition! Maybe that is why it was $2500 - Clausing name?

Wait, it is the same model that sold today for $2500 in about the same condition! Maybe that is why it was $2500 - Clausing name?

I don't know, but it isn't worth scrap. The bed needs to be reground, as well as (I expect) the carriage and tailstock... Gears fully rusted. this isn't a lathe any more.

Well someone already got this scrap lathe! Did not last too long did it. I think I am a bit out of touch with the power (attraction) of old junk.

BTW Dabbler that "chromed" chunks of steel you saw at my place is 416 stainless (machinable and magnetic) I hope no one minds I make tools out of stainless now.

think I am a bit out of touch with the power (attraction) of old junk.
I think this may sum things up quite nicely. Perhaps it is that we come to a time when we are ‘out of touch’ with a current trend. But I think it may have to happen that way for things to move forward.
I for one know full well that I’ve dragged home my share of moth-eaten furniture carcasses or bits of old suitcase completely blinded by allure of a stellar resurrection into some glowing phoenix. And sometimes the phoenix hatched, and sometimes it didn’t and I ended up holding the bag full of the useless junk.
But we dream, we learn, we try, we test our wings to see how good we are and in all of these is the magic of experience.
I love it. And I no longer feel guilty about trying something even if it fails or even if I don’t stick with it. It’s the magic of trying that makes us happy, and I’m kind of glad to see that it still lives enough in some of the up-and-comers to drag home a pile of rusted parts just to see if it’ll start again. :)

-frank

^^^ Reminds me of a short story I read years ago - IIRC it was "Player Piano" by Kurt Vonnegut (Sp?)
About a kind of "end of times" industrial society where machines had displaced all but the Engineers - I won't give away the ending in case someone wants to read it.

Two things became very evident to me when I started to attend local farm auctions with my old man...

The first being that there are always 2 fools at a sale...my old man and the other bidder...second, that foolishness increased at the same rate as rust thickness on the item.

Back