• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Feeler: Looking for a Favor..........?

Tecnico

(Dave)
Premium Member
One of the "Member Spotted" Kijiji links that was posted recently led me to a different ad by the same seller for a nice looking 6” chuck that would be a perfect fit for my SM 1120 lathe. Only one glitch, the chuck is in Ottawa, not here in my back yard in NS and the seller won’t ship.

So, here’s the feeler for a (really big) ask, is there anyone out there in Ottawa that would grant the favour of picking up this chuck and mailing it on to me? I’d prepay the seller and cover shipping expenses etc. etc. of course and then I’d have to think about a way to pay it forward. :)

I dunno, is that ‘way too big a favour to ask?

About the 800lb. gorilla in the corner of the room, I don’t think it’s a scam for two reasons, first a CHMW member has dealt with this seller recently and spoken well of him and second, after talking with the gent I don’t sense the shifty eyed attitude of a scammer. E.g. I saw something of concern in a photo in the ad and he went to the trouble to send me a high res. photo that cleared up the concern.

Anyhow, if there’s a kind soul out there that would be generous enough to reach out (by PM is fine so I can fill in more details) it’d mean a lot. If not, that’s fine too, I think it’s a big ask for a stranger (a friend I haven’t met yet).

Thanks for your ear!

Dave

D :cool:

Last edited:
Maybe try offering the guy extra to ship it? I just offered double the price so as to get the person interested and it works.

Do we have anyone in Ottawa? Always thought of it as the town of scoundrels, but I guess thats unfair; there must be some worthwhile bipeds there :D

Ottawa is much more sane, but I dread these requests for my market (toronto). You want to be a nice guy so feel bad saying no, but drive times even on the weekend are brutal. And nobody wants to meet at 6 a.m. so you squander most of the day between pick up, packing something heavy, shipping it etc.

just ramblings on a Sat morning..... hope you get your chuck!

On this site there are no strangers. I’ve done this for others and others have done this for me. I’m in Vancouver Island, so Ottawa is a bit of a drive for me. Now if I was coming out to NS already that would be a different story.

Lol! Ottawa is a bit out of the way for me too! If you do find yourself in this neck of the woods definitely drop by for a visit, shop talk is always good talk. :)

I like the no strangers vibe, there seem to be a lot of friendly and enthusiastic members that I just haven’t met in person yet.

Dave :cool:

Maybe try offering the guy extra to ship it? I just offered double the price so as to get the person interested and it works.

Do we have anyone in Ottawa? Always thought of it as the town of scoundrels, but I guess thats unfair; there must be some worthwhile bipeds there :D

Ottawa is much more sane, but I dread these requests for my market (toronto). You want to be a nice guy so feel bad saying no, but drive times even on the weekend are brutal. And nobody wants to meet at 6 a.m. so you squander most of the day between pick up, packing something heavy, shipping it etc.

just ramblings on a Sat morning..... hope you get your chuck!

I had a talk with the seller and he was adamant that he wouldn’t ship. Sounds like he’s doing the sell (of a bunch of things) for an older friend that isn’t up to the task himself so there’s not a lot in it for him.

Yes, I think among our members you’ll find the finest kind of people, even in out nation’s highest concentration of politicians, lol! ;)

I’m hoping to find a solution, we’ll see.

Dave :cool:

If I was closer I'd do it for you, but It's a bit outside my reach. Hopefully you find somebody to lend a hand.

Back when I was racing this kind of thing was pretty common amongst racers between rounds. There were a lot of people traveling between rounds, and series, so we could usually get stuff shipped almost anywhere for a few pints or gas money.

This is coming together, I’m blown away by the generosity of this group! :)

@slow-poke , can I put you in the staging lane? Someone has spoken up and come to the line so unless something goes away it’ll be a green light. Thanks!

@Dan Dubeau , amazing how the hard competitors on the track would lend parts and share cool ones (did someone mention beer?) and stories after the action is done! Always enjoyed road trips.

@140mower , did you say you were coming east with a truckload of beer as a test run when that Ford is back on the road? I’m sure you’ll recognize the stops, they’ll have a secret talisman hung at the front door like a hobo mark - who else would recognize a bunch of 8 mm taps with an elastic band around them lol! :p

And, are you saying @JustaDB has room for a chuck or a load of beer in the saddlebags??

Thanks guys.:)

This is coming together, I’m blown away by the generosity of this group! :)

@slow-poke , can I put you in the staging lane? Someone has spoken up and come to the line so unless something goes away it’ll be a green light. Thanks!

@Dan Dubeau , amazing how the hard competitors on the track would lend parts and share cool ones (did someone mention beer?) and stories after the action is done! Always enjoyed road trips.

@140mower , did you say you were coming east with a truckload of beer as a test run when that Ford is back on the road? I’m sure you’ll recognize the stops, they’ll have a secret talisman hung at the front door like a hobo mark - who else would recognize a bunch of 8 mm taps with an elastic band around them lol! :p

And, are you saying @JustaDB has room for a chuck or a load of beer in the saddlebags??

Thanks guys.:)

....... well, there's two bags, one each side and to keep things balanced, chuck in one and beer in the other. He can buy underwear as required along the way.......:rolleyes:
Have no fear all the taps went out with tracking devices. (Dipped them in covid vaccine, in case you followed that plot twist....):oops::rolleyes:

No worries.
I also belong to a Canadian Woodworking forum. Over there they call it Ruckering. I have seen lots of things moved around, especially on the 401 corridor, sometimes with as many as 6 or 7 stops. I have even, literally, seen tools moved across the country.

Just a quick update on the story today.

The chuck has arrived (early!) so it's time to get moving on a backing plate. :)

P5280780.JPG

Many thanks to all that offered help or support and a very big thank you to @combustable herbage for doing the logistics on his end, most appreciated! Of course, keeping with CHMW policy, the deal helped him spend some cash on something that caught his eye while he was there too. ;)

A few words about the chuck. I'm very pleased to have picked it up, it looks like a nice piece and unused! It's an Atlas Workholding unit, which is a sub-brand of Pratt Burnerd. It's an Easy-Set model which is sort of half way between a usual 3 jaw self centering type and a Set-Tru. When you mount it you snug the mounting bolts then align to the backing plate using four radial set screws then torque the mounting bolts. It does not register on a short boss like a normal plain back chuck so it will need a custom backing plate with a register for the alignment bolts.

It's also all imperial measure which is nice to go along with the rest of the Standard Modern it's going on.

Well, that's it, time to get at the backing plate.

Back