• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Entire Shop for sale Thousands in value $15,000

It feels seller is lazy and took rather lazy pictures of stuff without actually taking pictures of expensive things. So what we see is mostly junk.

It can also be the case they have just junk and are asking a fortune for it. Market will correct them.

He seems to have so little in the list and shop, that there will be no interest. Rightly so. He has very little of value in that shop. The wood lathe is home made, and there are no photos of the metal lathe or, as Tom says other items of value.

Delta bandsaw - $400 absolute tops
Beaver lathe - $200 tops
Radial arm saw - $100 tops
Compressor - $500 absolute tops
Total for the big stuff I can make out in the terrible pics is $1200
I'd say he over estimated by a factor of at least 10

Sometimes you have to take a good look.
I was just over at a retired welder who has a ‘mess’ of a shop near Kitchener.

Under a few welding bibs there was a RF30 mill, Ironworker, Lathe and sheet metal brake.

Turns out he did some of the welding on a steel bridge ‘form’ project that I secured for a former employer in 2008.
I had him seal weld some plates in HSS, by the time I had a look around the shop (15 minutes), he was finished welding the four plates in the HSS.

Attachments

• CB87A25D-882A-4A0E-85F7-094D8F91AD56.jpeg
    CB87A25D-882A-4A0E-85F7-094D8F91AD56.jpeg
    437.6 KB · Views: 22
I know my comprehension skills suck, but I don't see the 15K ask, just the "thousands" in value, which, like most of our shops, it probably was at one time. Most of the stuff seems wood working related, and that generally does not hold its value very well. My own shop is 1,000's in value, currently worth 100's.

Reading that ad took a toll on me.

Sad reality is that it will all go to the dump. Seller will get frustrated that "nobody wants to buy stuff" and has no idea they've priced themselves out of the market by an order of magnitude.

Seller might be a family member with no knowledge of the items. The ad seems to have a sense of urgency to it. There is always a back story to ads like this. I hope it works out for the best for the seller.

He seems to have so little in the list and shop, that there will be no interest. Rightly so. He has very little of value in that shop. The wood lathe is home made, and there are no photos of the metal lathe or, as Tom says other items of value.
You are so harsh! :) There's a Beaver wood lathe, and ya just don't see old radial arm saws and 10" bandsaws every day......

just don't see old radial arm saws
I can give you one :)

I have quite a few wood tools and have bought and sold (perhaps too much) over the years. Unless there is something really valuable, like a German jointer/thicknesser, there isn't much there. A few pieces seem to be worth a few hundred, but not enough to make 15K$.

Last edited:
You'd be surprised to know that radial arm saws are in use in metal shops, A bandsaw shop I know uses them with a diamond blade to square up the blades before welding. I use mine (had it since new) to cut Aluminium rod, tube and thin bar stock to length, extremely fast and consistent cuts.
For 1"dia Fibreglass rods I use a diamond blade.

Between my table saw and Radial arm saw the radial gets way more usage and the table saw sits as an infeed table for the radial saw.

We used to look after ‘Fall Protection’ guard rails at high-rise developments in the GTA.
Rails were all 2” Aluminum Tube cut to length with a Radial Arm saw and HSS blade.
Typical jobs were 80-100 pcs of railing to suit accessible rooftops.

Back