• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tool End Of An Era - Time For A New Soldering Gun Tip

Tool

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
The soldering tip for my Weller 8200 gun has finally succumbed to old age. As far as I recall, I bought it at the Woodwards store in Port Alberni, BC some time in 1971. There’s no French on the labels.

IMG_7477.jpegIMG_7476.jpeg

Second photo is random image off eBay, offering one as a vintage tool. I guess I am a vintage tool as well.

Amazing thing is I can still buy tips for this gun from Canadian Tire.

I remember using my Dad’s Weller gun.
Now you’re making me feel old! I’m not positive where I bought it, but I’m sure I’ve had my 8200 for at least 55 years:

IMG_8081_Radiant_Photo.jpeg
Yes, @Susquatch that is one of the original tips (I upgraded to the plated tips early on), “soldering tool,” box and styrofoam. Arrayed in the lid are some recently (past 10 years) purchased special purpose tips.

Was never a daily use tool even when I was doing a lot of kits and home-brew in the late 60’s, but when you need heat this one delivers.

I see them frequently on Kijiji for 10-20 dollars. Usually, the Styrofoam insert is all messed up. Chazz yours looks pristine.

In a pinch you can make a DIY tip by bending a piece of 14 gauge solid copper wire to fit and then tinning the end the first time you heat it up.

Now you’re making me feel old! I’m not positive where I bought it, but I’m sure I’ve had my 8200 for at least 55 years:

View attachment 51609
Yes, @Susquatch that is one of the original tips (I upgraded to the plated tips early on), “soldering tool,” box and styrofoam. Arrayed in the lid are some recently (past 10 years) purchased special purpose tips.

Was never a daily use tool even when I was doing a lot of kits and home-brew in the late 60’s, but when you need heat this one delivers.

I still have mine just like it. Box died 50 years ago. Prolly a dozen tips have lived and died on it. Sometimes I still use it. But most of the time I use a newer bigger hotter Weller. I believe it's 300/200 260/200 vs my old one at 140/100. I'm headed to Windsor today, but I'll check and edit this post if I'm wrong.

Edited above - my new gun is actually 300 / 200. My old one is correct as stated above. So I actually have four high-powered soldering heats available.

Can't beat a gun for joining wires 18g and bigger.

Last edited:
I used to use Dad's too, but inherited my Grandfathers. Just used it last week for something. I mostly use my butane one now where I would have use this, but it's still handy to have, and I don't get rid of anything lol. Styrofoam is long gone in mine.

OMG, mine must be +50 years old! It still gets a bit off use when that bit of extra heat is needed.. The tips take a bit of beating pushing nuts into 3D prints.

I have at least one if not two of that type of soldering guns. It gets little use since I bought a Weller soldering station many years ago.

So that's where that little red poky tool I have came from, IIRC I picked up my Weller at Zellers about 1970 to fix the switch on my RS 1.5W walki-talki, still works. Until then I was using an old wood-burner for soldering, they make for a lousy soldering iron;-). Now I use a Metcal and once you have used one you never want to use anything else.

You should still be able to order soldering gun tips. I was for the D-550. Other big iron is used to simultaneously heat 16 pins on a very large connector for removal.
Oh and soldering guns like the Weller should not be used on semiconductor based electronics. The tip is the secondary of a transformer and can generate a high voltage spike into the electronics when the trigger is deactivated.

Attachments

• Weller-SP1753.jpg
    Weller-SP1753.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Weller-D550.jpg
    Weller-D550.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 6
You should still be able to order soldering gun tips. I was for the D-550. Other big iron is used to simultaneously heat 16 pins on a very large connector for removal.
Oh, desoldering - that’s a different animal; miscellaneous collection of tools & supplies (somewhere I think I have the Unger handle for the DIP head/element):
IMG_8094_Radiant_Photo.jpeg

Or this specialized government kit (purchased cheap IDKW as a collector’s item):
IMG_8092_Radiant_Photo.jpeg

Oh and soldering guns like the Weller should not be used on semiconductor based electronics. The tip is the secondary of a transformer and can generate a high voltage spike into the electronics when the trigger is deactivated.
True, but should remove the tip from the joint before releasing the trigger to avoid a cold joint (plus, ‘way too much heat for semiconductors).

Back