• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Electric Motor for Bridgeport Milling Head, Stoney Creek ON, $150

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1560318958

$_59.JPG

I just picked up this motor this morning. It was just a 10 min drive from my place. If @Susquatch wants it I will be happy to pass it on. Otherwise I will hang on to it for my own purposes.

I just picked up this motor this morning. It was just a 10 min drive from my place. If @Susquatch wants it I will be happy to pass it on. Otherwise I will hang on to it for my own purposes.

You're a right smart guy for doing that. Not often I see Stoney Creek on this forum, born Hamilton raised and educated Stoney Creek.

I should add many thanks to Craig @YYCHM for all the heads up! Much appreciated and keep them coming!

There are actually two posted for sale. The second is 440V 3PH and looks pretty tired. It also is $150.

Unless your looking for something Bridgeport specific they seem rather expensive for what they are. I got a almost new 2HP, 3PH, 220V for $60 and I'm sure @Tom Kitta would say that was too much;)

Last edited:
There are actually two posted for sale. The second is 440V 3PH and looks pretty tired. It also is $150.

Unless your looking for something Bridgeport specific they seem rather expensive for what they are. I got a almost new 2HP, 3PH, 220V for $60 and I'm sure @Tom Kitta would say that was too much;)

How long ago did you get yours? I've been on the lookout for a second hand 5HP, 3PH, 220V for my lathe here in ON and I can't find any. 575V yes but thats not as convenient as 220V. In the process I've seen a lot of motors on Kijiji and my clear impression is that $150 is on the low end, $50 would be an exceptional rare outlier and probably not in very good shape. Of course if one is willing to wait for an age something exceptional might come up but then again maybe not.

I got a new Polish made inverter duty 3ph motor that is 1.5hp for $50. I think I paid too much. Maybe b/c it is new? The stupid advert on auction said it is 15hp - that is why I got it...

I dont know whats out there these days with the downturn, but Alberta Kijiji used to have lots of 3PH baldor motors available at various times - lots of 3ph 2-5HP in use in the oilpatch. I dont know about RPM's and how compatible that is with most lathes/mills you guys have.

Holy Smokes! I have participated in dozens of forums over the years, but I have never seen anyone do anything like this! What a kind and generous thing to do! This forum is full of amazing people!

I'm not really sure that motor is actually ideal for my application though, so I'm certainly glad that you can use the motor yourself if it doesn't work out for me. I'd hate to leave you hanging after you leapt on it and actually drove across town to pick it up.

What HP and voltage is the motor? What is the shaft size and length?
Can you take a photo of the motor plate for me? I assume the plate on it is a base adapter.

What you could not have known is that I also have a good lead on another motor through another member.

Amazing really! I've been looking for a mill for years, was preparing to settle for a much smaller unit, ran across this forum doing a Google search, got tons of great advice, and ended up buying two really nice mills for less than I was prepared to pay. Now I get to fix both up and then choose between them!

Life is simply awesome!

shaft is 7/8 X 1-5/8

I see. I don't think the motor will work for me @Canadium.

My existing motor is 2HP and I'm leery of using a smaller one especially since I'll be using it with a VFD. I'd prefer to hold out for a bigger motor.

The shaft is also a problem. Even if I could mount the motor flat with no adapter plate, the shaft would leave me with less than 1/2" to mount my four groove pulley. By the time I add the required adapter plate to mount the motor, I'd have virtually nothing left for the pulley at all.

All really too bad. I'll probably end up spending double that by the time I find what I need.

Anyway, I'm sure glad you wanted it anyway.

I still can't believe you did that for me. I appreciate the offer VERY much. You guys on this forum are all simply awesome.

I see. I don't think the motor will work for me @Canadium.

My existing motor is 2HP and I'm leery of using a smaller one especially since I'll be using it with a VFD. I'd prefer to hold out for a bigger motor.

The shaft is also a problem. Even if I could mount the motor flat with no adapter plate, the shaft would leave me with less than 1/2" to mount my four groove pulley. By the time I add the required adapter plate to mount the motor, I'd have virtually nothing left for the pulley at all.

All really too bad. I'll probably end up spending double that by the time I find what I need.

Anyway, I'm sure glad you wanted it anyway.

I still can't believe you did that for me. I appreciate the offer VERY much. You guys on this forum are all simply awesome.

Maybe this will help... https://kurz.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Cowern-Metric-IEC-Motor-Frames.pdf

Back