• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Edge Technology Alignment Bar

Yes I saw that also and I am tempted. I bought a double ended Morse taper alignment bar and figured that would be the cat's pajamas but the dang thing is out.

They are very nice, I would have liked one but they are too pricey for my hobby budget. I wound up making a bar along the same idea but out of some scrap pieces that were in the stack. It may not be precision ground but aligns things well enough for my purposes.

They are very nice, I would have liked one but they are too pricey for my hobby budget. I wound up making a bar along the same idea but out of some scrap pieces that were in the stack. It may not be precision ground but aligns things well enough for my purposes.

Let's see an image and describe how you make it please.

One advantage of making your own is you could make it longer. And the longer it is, theoretically the more accurate it would be, or less prone to machining discrepancies. I never made one but here is how i would attempt:
- get a piece of straight aluminum tube, maybe .75" OD (aluminum is light, tubing is rigid in this application)
- machine 2 steel end bosses machined to fit tube ID on one end but larger diameter boss on the other end, say 0.85. The larger end would be center drilled 60-deg. Basically these mimic the Edge but only semi machined for now
- attach the bosses to the tube with Loctite or whatever
- now with centers in both headstock & tailstock take a skim cut off the boss on the headstock end only. You'll nee a dog which I didn't have. Lock the cross table in this position.
- flip the bar end for end & take the exact same skim cut off the other boss. Ideally they will now be as equal as you can make them and pre-centered because of the countersink

Hopefully your tailstock is not too far off to begin with. The bar length plus the thin length of boss OD will diminish the discrepancy effects but if the TS is out, this will result in an ever so small taper.

Attachments

• SNAG-3-9-2020 0000.jpg
    SNAG-3-9-2020 0000.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 0
  • SNAG-3-9-2020 0001.jpg
    SNAG-3-9-2020 0001.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 0
Thanks Hruul, you saved me a step! If I ever can get/build a tool post grinder I might give it another dressing on the larger journals but it works for me well enough for now. Being bits from scrap bins the price was more appealing than a C-note.

Back