• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Dumore Tool Post Grinder Auction -- Ontario

trlvn

Ultra Member
Anybody looking for a tool post grinder for their lathe?

w0816-2.jpg

https://maxsold.maxsold.com/auction/26695/item/2504410

Closes on Monday evening. Located in Woodstock, ON.

Craig

Well, that tool post grinder is worth at least 300CAD more like 400. Problem is that the seller placed in on an auction that does not have a lot of machinists on it so it will sell for like $10 CAD plus price of all of these abrasives.

Buy it even just to flip it a bit - at that price its a steal -1 day to go and price is still under 100 - I would bid till at least say 200. so max would be 200 plus fees. Still excellent deal.

Heck maybe we should make a deal that pp buy us stuff in ON for next to nothing and send via Canada Post?

The price could sky rocket in the last few min through so no one get too excited.

Last edited:
BUT not always - sometimes (like 2 days ago for me) you oversleep or get distracted, auction passes and a lathe sells for next to nothing. So one in say 10 times on big ticket items there simply is ... no other guy two guys to bid it up. You are the other guy. And without you it sells for cheap.

There are some other interesting lots in that auction.
Like the locked wood toolbox with a lost key. No telling what treasures may rest in the locked upper drawers and how would you open it anyway. Without destroying the box that is.

BUT not always - sometimes (like 2 days ago for me) you oversleep or get distracted, auction passes and a lathe sells for next to nothing. So one in say 10 times on big ticket items there simply is ... no other guy two guys to bid it up. You are the other guy. And without you it sells for cheap.
I find it amusing sometimes how this works in auctions. When no one else is bidding it may look like an awesome item will go for next to nothing. Step in yourself with a much higher bid and still lose because the first guy had an even higher max bid. The final outcome however will be totally different because I chose to compete.

Sometimes I never bought anything but bid on 50 items with 15 of them being the last one to bid. Even through I did not win anything I contributed 100s of dollars or even 1000s in extra sale price boost. You know you are close to value if for say few hundred $ no one is bidding but you and the other guy. Sometimes I wonder whom she or he is - give them a call and say hey, lets split some stuff and both pay less! On the other hand some people that resell are hostile to such ideas and will block you b/c they got insulted you want a deal.

Someone on E-bay was always outbidding us on some items my wife wanted, same code in the bids. After much frustration at the last second I bid $125 on the item that was worth about $50. The item sold to the other person for $130 - I felt good that I made that bidder finally pay ....LOL...but then the bidder refused to buy claiming it was some mix up or something so the seller offered it to me for $125 and I declined. It went back on the table and I scooped it for $10 ....Awesome!

If I knew for sure there was sales for the machines in Alberta I would buy up a bunch and send them out - there were a couple mills for sale under 2K that probably would be A-OK out there

I would definitely bid if they delivered it to a Woodstock address for me. But they wont. Looks like pick up only.

Someone on E-bay was always outbidding us on some items my wife wanted, same code in the bids. After much frustration at the last second I bid $125 on the item that was worth about $50. The item sold to the other person for $130 - I felt good that I made that bidder finally pay ....LOL...but then the bidder refused to buy claiming it was some mix up or something so the seller offered it to me for $125 and I declined. It went back on the table and I scooped it for $10 ....Awesome!

If I knew for sure there was sales for the machines in Alberta I would buy up a bunch and send them out - there were a couple mills for sale under 2K that probably would be A-OK out there
There HAS to be a market/business shipping machines out west

I was part of a move of worn out CNC junk that was 25 years old that was being sent to India. I don’t understand that but maybe it’s better than what India can find elsewhere for cheap

There HAS to be a market/business shipping machines out west

I was part of a move of worn out CNC junk that was 25 years old that was being sent to India. I don’t understand that but maybe it’s better than what India can find elsewhere for cheap

For India anything is better then nothing - most of their "factories" have some ultra worn out drill press as their main workhorse machine. Grinder is the very next best thing. Thus a CNC - even beaten to death one - is a huge upgrade. This is why getting tooling from India usually means getting stuff that is of worse quality then from China in 1980s or say Europe before WWI. There are exceptions through - some companies opened modern lines in that country.

Price is now 150. I think it will all go for around 300 plus fees... but you never know if you don't bid - it could all just go for 150.

Fair bit of last minute bidding on some of the other stuff though like the cabinet and contents. Went to $510 with extended bidding. I'm betting someone on this forum got most of these items.

TPGs can be very expensive even used but bargains do come up. Condition is the main consideration. The spindle bearings are typically pretty high end precision class & depending on the vintage, some of the size combinations are not as easy to replace. I've even heard of servicing/replacement to be in the 500$ range by Dumore & Themac on their own current models. Some need special oils & set-up know-how. I suspect the motors might be a notch above vanilla grade too in order to run smooth & deliver high rpm for the power level, but above my pay grade. Most use specific light weight belts for grinding given the rpm range (+30K for internal) & so as not to introduce vibration.

I don't think TPGs are as common as they use to be anymore, despite being useful for many home shop applications depending on what you do. I've seen homebrew's made, some with maybe even better (VFD-like) motor controls. But the spindle cartridge is the heart of the beast including how arbors & wheels are mounted.

Back