• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

CT309 Lathe Ontario $400

I have the same lathe and that is cheap for it.
Yeah it is not a bad lathe and the price was great, which is why it sold already.

I messaged not long after it was posted. Only got my reply at 10am today and it is gone already. If people like @Titusak want a usable size lathe for cheap, they really need have all their ducks in a row and be ready to get a notice and jump on it when it comes their way.

If I'd seen this maybe just minutes earlier I'd have bought it, spiffed it up and sold it for twice the money

Yeah it is not a bad lathe and the price was great, which is why it sold already.

I messaged not long after it was posted. Only got my reply at 10am today and it is gone already. If people like @Titusak want a usable size lathe for cheap, they really need have all their ducks in a row and be ready to get a notice and jump on it when it comes their way.

If I'd seen this maybe just minutes earlier I'd have bought it, spiffed it up and sold it for twice the money
Yeah there is a definitely a lot of luck to finding unicorn deals and closing.

Being ready to jump in the truck asap is the biggest kicker.

Save the humming and hawing for when you're standing there checking it out

Exactly. if people are looking for some thing that is rare based in its price and availability. They must be on the ball and ready to go look at it. Also ready to deal and take it on the spot. Same with machine equipment, as cars and farm machinery.

Exactly. if people are looking for some thing that is rare based in its price and availability. They must be on the ball and ready to go look at it. Also ready to deal and take it on the spot. Same with machine equipment, as cars and farm machinery.
BUT smaller cheap used lathes are not rare in Ontario. They come up all the time. They just happen to sell very quickly.

I helped my friend score a 10 x 22 with a crap ton of tooling for ~$1000 after looking for just a few days. We passed on about 6 lathes in that time, and got the best one because we could act within a hour of the lathe being posted. Cash in hand, SUV at the ready, and immediate availability to pick up the item.

My own chipmaster sale happened pretty much the same way. I was at a cnc grinding shop, chatting about machines and the guy said "I have a lathe I plan to sell" I said let me think about it a couple of days, dont sell to anyone until you hear back from me. I wanted to check how much cash I has in my sock drawer at home, expecting to pay over 2k. I got a call from the guy saying someone else was interested, and offered $750. I said well hell I'll match that and can come tomorrow morning. Same friend from above helped me pick it up with his SUV and trailer, and stored it at his shop temporarily for me.

That friend is such a helpful friendly fellow that we gave him our 8" x 24" hydraulic surface grinder and rotary phase converter. With all the honey the guy has given me I hope he hasn't also given me diabetes tho

Things are complicated by the @#$% head scammers. Many times in the past I've quickly told sellers "I'll take it, 100% for sure, can there get by ____ but will pay now if it you like" Never had a problem and it locks the deal in when the next 20 are saying "when can I come and see it". Not doing that now with the prevalence of scammers.

Things are complicated by the @#$% head scammers. Many times in the past I've quickly told sellers "I'll take it, 100% for sure, can there get by ____ but will pay now if it you like" Never had a problem and it locks the deal in when the next 20 are saying "when can I come and see it". Not doing that now with the prevalence of scammers.
Oh for sure, scammers have made life suck and now you pretty much need to keep a stash of cash in the sock drawer and be able to head out fast, OR send a friend fast.

maybe online fraud should carry death penalty, but how could we serve sentence when the perps are mostly in the subcontinent?

This is why more than ever we need a community that is willing to lend a hand as often as possible

Back