• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Craftex mill and lathe.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Yeah way too high unless he is adding ton of tooling. Even in good shape these are very old machines and represent "old Chinese construction".

Bradells

(BRad)
What would be a reasonable asking price?

Just curious, as down the road (looong road at this point), I’d be looking at similar sized machines...

Brad

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Busy Bee has the 12x36 lathe on sale for $5300 and the mill for $5900 for a total of $11,200.
The seller has only taken off 33% which is not nearly enough. I'd say more like $1200-$1800 for the mill and maybe $1500-$2000 for the lathe. And that's assuming there's a bunch of tooling such as a vise, collets end mills, 3 and 4 jaw chucks.
Just my opinion...

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Well, one has to assume that machines are in great shape, hobby used & come with standard tooling they came in when from store new.

These are old machines - I would guess 30 years at least with one lifetime of hobby use (I would hope no actual workshop use) behind them. They were not, when new, up to the quality of a modern Chinese machine - so new price of these is less then 11200 - maybe 9000?

Next comes the age - at least 30 years - on rather hobby grade machines - that is a lot. One has to carefully evaluate things. 30 years hobby use may not have squished an old Kerney & Tucker #2E but they are a lot for far less beefy & soft Chinese made machines from 1980s and 1990s.

Thus I would price the set a bit higher, if in excellent condition, at maybe 4500 - 5000 tops. Mainly due to the 1ph stuff.

I have sold stuff near their new price - a lathe 12x24 for I think 15% off + tax - but that was a current model sold by BB & it only had 2 years of use - not 30+ old model. I have sold a mini mill for like tax only off but BB increased the price by like 20% so it felt like 20% off plus tax. Two weeks ago I sold a rotary table for like 10% off + tax plus shipping -- which was 1/3 of the price (or 25% + tax off BB price). Again current model, 2 years of use.

Then again, I saw on auction few months back a lathe sold for more then new price at a store - used stuff more then new - so buyers can go crazy and do all sorts of crazy stuff.

Look into used 3ph machines - you an get a nice stuff at some auctions for good money. SDG lathe 5hp short bed (massive still) went for like under 2000 and it is like 10x the machine sold here by this guy. Also has 30 years on the clock but we are talking about quality equipment vs. crap.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Pricing is highly optimistic here on the Island. I agree with you Tom, they could be higher than my estimate.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
This is a second rework on a reply.

I am very familiar with the mill, and it does have a good lube system, although it is a newer version of the one I had, it is still in the right range of dates to be built in Taiwan, which is plus for this model. The mill, if it works well and isn't worn out in the centre of the X travel (a problem for these machines), then it is worth, on its own, just under 3K$. I sold mine for 3800$ and I felt that it was a fair price (mine was in near showroom condition). They were very well built machines. They just look like the cheaper made ones. If the X axis is worn out then it is worth about 1K$

Now on the lathe. I still own a version of this lathe and they are very accurate and well built machines. In great condition, I've seen 2 go for 3K$ each in the past year on kijiji, one in Ontario, where machine prices are lower, and one in BC. --- HOWEVER --there are 2 red flags for the lathe. One is that the oil level is at the bottom of the glass, which is NOT GOOD and the second is the overall cruddiness of the headstock. I use mine several times a week, and seldom clean it and my front panel is pristine. That means the seals are probably gone, and he's patched it with Rad-fix or other leak stoppant. So the bearings are probably compromised. Sad. a great machine that is only suitable as a short term learning lathe. 800$ tops.

Bear in mind I owned the mill about 18 years and know its every quirk and have used this lathe's predecessor for 37 years.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
oh, and depending on the tooling, that could easily be worth over 2K$, even used. I have more than 2K$ in my lathe alone, and had at least 1500$ in tooling on my mill before it was reallocated to my new mill.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Just for comparison, the mill looks identical to my mid 90's KBC that I paid $1900 for in Feb. It came with a 6" swivel base vice, a couple of fly cutters, a couple of end mill holders and some other stuff. It works well for me so far and I'm happy with it. I've added a power travel and new belts but haven't had to do anything else, (knock on wood).