• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Craftex CT043 auction in Calgary

2h to go 3245 CAD plus fees - so just under $4000.

Lathe needs new tailstock tube - someone remove tang from a drill chuck and messed it very bad - also new arbor for said drill chuck.

Few cutting tools.

Standard stuff that came with the lathe.

Bed does not show much wear.

Chuck has surface rust.

Gears seem to all function.

Overall current price is high for a machine that you cannot test under power, that comes with almost no tooling and that shows it was someone learner machine.

That's probably why I don't go to auctions, I have lots of "will" power, it's the "won't" power that I'm lacking.

The lathe auction price ! wow. ! The mill johnwa posted looks good. good price.

Auction effect.
I think the "auction effect" may be somewhat intensified by the pandemic. A lot of people with too much time on their hands looking for something to do. It seems many of them have discovered online auctions and they're willing to keep clicking the bid button until they "win".

Craig

The Kijiji lathe is a newer model then auction one. Plus it comes with a collet chuck with a set of collets and a QCTP with I bet more cutters in addition to probably non destroyed tailstock. This would value auction lathe at under 3000 - but without ability to test it powered up a max of 2500.

Auction effect here may be indeed enhanced by pandemic in "regular" buyers - with larger machines I was shocked at how cheap they went! Last week I had a few years old Hyd Mech bandsaw go for just 3000 - normally this would have gone well over 5000. An iron worker went for same - just 3000 - normally twice that.

For these that don't know - auction effect occurs when a buyer has strong human "I want to win" / "I want to be first" effect. It is similar to "summit fever" in mountaineers when you are approaching the top and it would be ultra hard to turn around, even if few functioning brain cells tell you to.

Didn't one of the members look at a new BB mill on another post? Same size as that 3500 one but he wanted new? We can save him over 2k.

Back