• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

colchester in Calgary

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Kidding!
I’m not in the market for a lathe.
But that was a beauty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crankit

Wowzers...two hours! Company in Kelowna sold a Colchester Master 2500 for $4500(if I remember correctly) to someone here in Salmon Arm. I saw it up for sale but I didn't have the room or extra $$. I came along afterwards and bought the majority of the taper shank drills that was used in that lathe dirt cheap.

Last edited:

Tom O

Ultra Member
I’m going to have to go out to Modern Tool for a walkabout sometime soon just in case there is something interesting I’d really like a taper attachment.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Tom, do some searching on taper attachment on our forum. We beat that issue pretty hard a few times. Bottom line is its really lathe dependent. The 'easy' part is the bar attachment at the rear of the lathe. any people make their own. Where things get machine specific is how to disengage the cross slide during taper following mode. Most of the typical Asian machines require a special lead screw, lead screw nut (equivalent) & maybe even different dial assembly parts. Some are kind of a engage/disengage principle, others are telescoping. If you happen to have a lathe already setup but just no attachment, that would be considered score. I've noticed most of the current Asian lathes now come with everything complete, no screwing around. I wish mine did or I knew better at the time.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I have a older Clausing Lathe that belonged to my dad and my grandfathers lathe in the garage. The calculator is my sons and my humor but I think the magnifying glass is to rub it in! lol
CEA7029C-9848-42FD-B9B3-F387F95AF453.jpeg

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I have a older Clausing Lathe that belonged to my dad and my grandfathers lathe in the garage. The calculator is my sons and my humor but I think the magnifying glass is to rub it in! lol
View attachment 10803

If you're able to disconnect the cross slide nut from the cross slide by removing a single screw you could make a taper attachment easy enough. http://www.lathes.co.uk/clausing/page5.html Utilathe taper attachments work this way.

Last edited: