• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Cholchester Chipmaster

My coworker Gabe, who some of you met at the April meetup, is going to have a look at it on Friday. His girlfriend Siobhan’s parents have offered him some space in their barn for a little machine shop.

Any suggestions on moving, especially Chipmaster specific ones, are welcome. (I volunteered to help, of course)

$1650, Wellington North ON

452247659_1028610588973794_890036228175285692_n.jpg

My coworker Gabe, who some of you met at the April meetup, is going to have a look at it on Friday. His girlfriend Siobhan’s parents have offered him some space in their barn for a little machine shop.

Any suggestions on moving, especially Chipmaster specific ones, are welcome. (I volunteered to help, of course)
Tell him to swing by here with it, I'll show him how to unload it.

It will be a great lathe for somebody! great price if it is working and tight
I messaged Matt back and forth and was going to buy this as a parts machine. According to Matt it is his parts machine as he has another chippie.

There appears to be issues with the ways, as I noted and Matt responded that someone gave them a amateurish attempt at scraping. Even after Matt dropped the price substantially and relisted it that issue alone was enough to make me pass on this one. Anyone considering the lathe should bring all the metrology tools they'd need to thoroughly evaluate the accuracy.

I tried to buy just the taper turning attachment alone with a parts swap from my lathe and Matt's desired price was well above what my desire to add to the original equipment options on my lathe.

As far as colchesters and chipmasters in particular I love them and anyone buying this should be happy as long as it isn't totally clapped out.

ps check the variator, as it has the original. A video I saw of it sounds smooth and issue free. This fact should mean the rest of the lathe is in decent shape since the variator fails before anything else usually.

Exactly the sort of thing I was hoping to find out. Thanks!
I use a narrow dual sling threaded thru that hole and then connected to the hook of my hoist to lift mine. But you need appropriately rated slings.

Be careful, the base is fragile and if smacked can crack.

If your friend finds that he needs the vary very expensive oil for the variator (no they can't use anything else as a substitute) I have a source here in Toronto, and I have several bottles I may be willing to sell at a discount because I decided to replace my variator rather than run into issues down the road.

I messaged Matt back and forth and was going to buy this as a parts machine. According to Matt it is his parts machine as he has another chippie.

There appears to be issues with the ways, as I noted and Matt responded that someone gave them a amateurish attempt at scraping. Even after Matt dropped the price substantially and relisted it that issue alone was enough to make me pass on this one. Anyone considering the lathe should bring all the metrology tools they'd need to thoroughly evaluate the accuracy.

I tried to buy just the taper turning attachment alone with a parts swap from my lathe and Matt's desired price was well above what my desire to add to the original equipment options on my lathe.

As far as colchesters and chipmasters in particular I love them and anyone buying this should be happy as long as it isn't totally clapped out.

ps check the variator, as it has the original. A video I saw of it sounds smooth and issue free. This fact should mean the rest of the lathe is in decent shape since the variator fails before anything else usually.
Hmm. Food for thought. I’ll pass it along to Gabe when he gets in.

Any favourite tips for assessing way condition, beyond ‘eyes’?

I like the indicator base on tailstock, indicator touching top face of carriage, bump tailstock up against the carriage, and drive the carriage left to right, watching variation, but that seems tough on such a short lathe. Relatively quick and painless.

Tighten things up snug-ish near the headstock and see how far right you can get?

Hmm. Food for thought. I’ll pass it along to Gabe when he gets in.

Any favourite tips for assessing way condition, beyond ‘eyes’?

I like the indicator base on tailstock, indicator touching top face of carriage, bump tailstock up against the carriage, and drive the carriage left to right, watching variation, but that seems tough on such a short lathe. Relatively quick and painless.

Tighten things up snug-ish near the headstock and see how far right you can get?
I was never a machinist and leave such things to my brother so I'm sure that someone other than me can point you to a thread on the pre-purchase inspection process. Also I know a google search yields many good thread from the usual machining forums.

OH also inspect the spindle for any play, noise, and unacceptable run out. Tell him to walk away if there is any sign of trouble because the gamet bearings for this lathe are unobtainium. I searched for over 6 months for a used set to keep as emergency spares to no avail. In fact the majority of parts are no longer available, or very costly for well worn used parts

Back