• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

But It's "ON SALE"

I watched the video presentation on this machine by the owner of StanCanada. The guy seems like a pretty straight shooter.

Its a 16 x 60 lathe in metric units. For its size it is a medium duty lathe. I agree it is a great price for a new item. I wonder whatever lead screw is metric and how it can cut imperial threads in large variety (there is a way to setup gearing to do a lot of imperials vs. a 2.54 to 1 gearing). They could I guess also use some kind of gear less electronic means via variable speed motor drive of the lead screw - then you could get *any* thread you want.

Note they use A spindle nose which is more rare then D. A is supposedly for less frequent tool changes - maybe.

I wonder how well the machine is made & why this price drop?

They have same used old CNCs they had few weeks back. I am looking for smaller CNC machine.

Yes, that does seem like a lot of lathe for the money - too big for me though. Just guessing that they need the cash flow (quick) to keep going. I think a lot of that bigger stuff sells cheap when it has to go because its too big for most of us home shop guys.
Metric / Imperial threads - Not an expert on the subject but my last lathe (chinese clone) would do both - IIRC, there was one gear (Interpolation ?) to put in the gear train (121 tooth ?) and it would cut metric threads.
"A" spindle nose is a kind of odd setup where backing plate is bolted to spindle taper, then chuck bolted to that. I nearly bought one lathe which had this and this "A" spindle turned me off because it looked like a chore to change chucks and I do that fairly often.

On value based things I prefer a Canadian context: shipping and border issues for a 4500 lb lathe will add significantly to the price, nearly doubling it. If you look at a comparable lathe at Modern Tool landed in Calgary and delivered, it is the GH-1660-ZX which is a tad over 35,000 CAD.

free delivery vs. around $2000+ CAD for Grizzly I agree in principle, but shipping has taken a sharp increase recently. I think you will find from Bellingham to Calgary for 4500lb lathe is closer to 4500 USD. I just priced a 1 ton box from Portland in a smaller box, and it was 3800 USD best price.

A6 spindle nose great catch! I hadn't noticed that! It seems to be used on some CNC lathes, and possible to get adapters for it at a price $$$

This is a fire sale price: probably the last of its kind and an attempt to generate revenue. This comes with downsides, such as replacement parts, etc, but if you've seen my tools that is never a consideration for me.

I agree that stan canada usually has pricing done well. My guess is that it was a 50K lathe on the floor for the years it has been in the showroom. This is probably the showroom model, and possibly missing parts that are easy to replace. This is similar to my 15" lathe when it was sold originally, missing a follow rest and a few change gears (which have been replaced)

One last comment: one of my friends has one of these, and it is a very high quality unit - I would dare say it is a top of the line model, not the usual offshorium.

Last edited:
I have dealt with Stan-Canada in Nisku by Leduc. I’m usually looking for parts and they’re good about letting me look through piles of parts. The owner, receptionist and some of the help are all Russian. They move a lot of used and new machinery. They also have the equipment to move it. The finish is poor and it doesn’t sound right to me. The one shot down through the bed between the ways is an example of the poor finish. They like to move stuff but they don’t give anything away although they will barter on used parts.

Back