Busy Bee Metal Lathe, $3,000 - Caledon

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Looks like pretty high price for a lathe that looks like it has had either alot of use or maybe harsh use.

It's okay to make such comment here right? Just not in the classified section right?

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Looks like pretty high price for a lathe that looks like it has had either alot of use or maybe harsh use.

It's okay to make such comment here right? Just not in the classified section right?
No third (feed) bar .. so this is a really oldy..

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
No third (feed) bar .. so this is a really oldy..
Actually I think that may be newer than some with the 3rd bar. The 3rd bar on my similar lathe just controlled the on/off forward/reverse function and on this lathe it looks like they have moved the switch to the headstock panel.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Yup. You got it. Only forbidden in the classifieds section.

And I agree. It looks quite rough to me too.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

I should add another comment here.

A few months ago one of our members put a machine on Kijiji. Another member noticed the Kijiji add and posted it here in member spotted deals. Quite a few guys were critical of it. That caused a few ruffled feathers and some hasty deletes.

Ever since then, I am a bit more careful of what I say here. Basically only saying what I would say if I knew the seller was a member.

It is rough looking to me and I'd say that to you if I knew you were the one selling it. So I still think you are good.

Sometimes life is too complicated...... LOL!

Its a lathe thats been used, pure and simple. What shape its in, in terms of usability can only be determined with and on site visit.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Its a lathe thats been used, pure and simple. What shape its in, in terms of usability can only be determined with and on site visit.
Yes it's working condition can only be determined on site but the fact that is dirty, bent parts and appears uncared for in the pictures are enough to form an opinion and may help to decide if a person needs to evaluate it in person.

Yes it's working condition can only be determined on site but the fact that is dirty, bent parts and appears uncared for in the pictures are enough to form an opinion and may help to decide if a person needs to evaluate it in person.
I've also seen some of the pic's that that say junk, and you fall all over them, just say'n.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've also seen some of the pic's that that say junk, and you fall all over them, just say'n.
So you too have had an opinion by seeing pictures of lathes and you determined they were junk eh? It's good to be able to give our opinions and assessments here freely without someone jumping on us isn't it?

So you too have had an opinion by seeing pictures of lathes and you determined they were junk eh? It's good to be able to give our opinions and assessments here freely without someone jumping on us isn't it?
It's what you look at that makes the difference. I look at the ways and where the use is and abuse is.

Dirty means nothing, good ways means a lot. Wear where you expect it even if it looks rough is acceptable. Bent trays well in conjunction with good ways a lot of use and care to protect what is important.

As to how the internals are thats an in person visit if it meets your spec and price.

A few of you on the other hand look and see brand x or brand y and OMG its worth the money.

I see damage and excessive wear in all the areas mentioned, a clean spotless, lathe a good tray, and for me those thing throw immediate warning signs to move it down the list.

I buy equipment new or used to do a job, no more no less, if I need to do work on it to get it into shape that I can use it, not even interested. If I'm buying to restore that's a different story but at this time its about usability.

Remember my initial comment was it looks rough but right and needs an inspection to confirm, nothing more nothing less. You took a shot and indicated my assessment was bad, twice now, now I call you on it to justify you view as to what is wrong with it, at least I state it with mine.