• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Boring heads, $250, Kenilworth, ON

quitereal

Screenshot_20240821_195108.webp

What do you guys make of this, those two look like little Wohlhaupters - would they maybe be facing/grooving as well? One kinda looks like a morse taper, the other a straight? Might be a deal here.

Ya i think those are Wohlhaupters, a upa1 and upa2. That is a deal, someone grab em.
Looks like that to me too!

I already have both, and paid a LOT more for them, so this looks to me like either a scam, or an outright BARGAIN!

I think I paid around $300 for my UPA2, my UPA1 was a little more, but I could afford it at the time. And I thought I underpaid by a LOT at that time.

A lot of tooling, if it is in good shape !!

I just bought an adjustable Boring Head and it works great for producing accurate holes.
Make sure the shank is compatible with your mill (Mine has an R8).
Parallels are handy for setups.
Make sure you have Collets for those End Mills (KBC has Imp & Metric, $10-20 ea)

For any who dont know, Wohlhaupters arent just an adjustable boring head, theyre magical boring heads that grant three wishes. Jk, by holding a bar at the base collar while spinning they will advance outward, allowing for facing or internal grooving.

I sent him a note asking him about shipping and location. It's a fair drive from here, but not out of the question. It is a business so it's voracity is questionable. I wouldn't have the courage to do a big deposit. But if it works out, I'd be willing to take the set apart for other members. I'd only want one of the Wholhaupters for myself. Let's see what he says.

I sent him a note asking him about shipping and location. It's a fair drive from here, but not out of the question. It is a business so it's voracity is questionable. I wouldn't have the courage to do a big deposit. But if it works out, I'd be willing to take the set apart for other members. I'd only want one of the Wholhaupters for myself. Let's see what he says.
I replied last night with my number and haven't gotten a reply yet.

I got a reply.

They were Morse taper and another shank I had no interest in...
Should be an easy job to machine an arbor. I did that with my boring head. Came with the taper and machined up an R8 to fit.

Attachments

• CF70C936-B474-42A4-A7E6-661FF07EAFF2.webp
    CF70C936-B474-42A4-A7E6-661FF07EAFF2.webp
    166.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20BE0526-9324-48A5-A8A7-8BE3CAD3BDB7.webp
    20BE0526-9324-48A5-A8A7-8BE3CAD3BDB7.webp
    190.9 KB · Views: 3
Should be an easy job to machine an arbor. I did that with my boring head. Came with the taper and machined up an R8 to fit.
No to easy on the UPA-1, and UPA-2 Wohlhaupter heads, as they, the two smallest in the lineup, come with fixed arbors. They were available in several different arbors from the factory, but had to be built there. Most common that I have seen personally is for the UPA-1 to be equipped with a straight shank around 3/4 inch or 19mm, while the UPA-2's I have seen have been Morse Taper 2 shanks. If you do some digging around online, you can find the specs and capacities for the whole line.

You need to step up to a UPA-3 size from this maker, before you can make or purchase different arbors.

Back