• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Bison lathe chuck CA$100

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Kamloops, BC

438079861_1101342000968450_5262755393397884147_n.jpg

438163508_1039380180851042_701249180448379924_n.jpg

Stuart Samuel

Premium Member
I was kind of annoyed, the seller’s profile photo is for ‘Wright Machining Service’. You’d think they’d identify what camlock size it was?

slow-poke

Ultra Member
For the uninitiated, what makes these Bison chucks "Great"?

Sounds like they would be superior to the as supplied chuck of my BB CX706?

What about compatibility?

Let the knowledge flow.....

Last edited:
I was kind of annoyed, the seller’s profile photo is for ‘Wright Machining Service’. You’d think they’d identify what camlock size it was?
.......or the diameter. If 8", it would have been a great addition to the shop. It sold pretty quick I think. Saved myself $100 by not being on Facebook. The wife asked for me, and it was gone by around 6-7:00.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@slow-poke

Bison have been known for years for their quality workmanship and materials. For a long time they were the 'sleeper' brand, quite inexpensive, but every-bit-as-good-as the big brands. The then became a recognized brand, and upped their game, making and selling a wider variety of chucks, and creating a higher tier of chucks.

When they gained popularity, they started sharing production (the 1990s?) with another lathe manufacturer down the road. Between them, the quality dipped a bit for a few years. Now they are as good as ever.

'Way back when' Busy Bee bought all its lathes and chucks from Taiwan. Top notch stuff. More recently they supply almost exclusively from China. Not that is always a bad idea, but if you buy cheap from China, you get what you pay for. :rolleyes: On some models I have heard complaints.

I own 2 Taiwanese BB chucks and they are the highest quality. I'm not sure present chucks are up to that standard. It is still possible your chucks are just fine. Not everything at BB is worrisome.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I forgot to talk about compatibility. Bison chucks can be depended on to adhere well within the tolerances of the D1-x standard. If your lathe is standard adhering, the chuck would have fit it.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
If you're interested Dan may still have a few 5" chucks on a 1.5" x 8tpi backing plate left around. You would just need a backing plate to fit your machine but at $190 CDN you won't find a Bison any cheaper.

These are NOS from the 1980s when they bought a pallet load of them so they need a good cleaning. Quite a few of us on the forum have bought them.

Stuart Samuel

Premium Member
If you're interested Dan may still have a few 5" chucks on a 1.5" x 8tpi backing plate left around. You would just need a backing plate to fit your machine but at $190 CDN you won't find a Bison any cheaper.

These are NOS from the 1980s when they bought a pallet load of them so they need a good cleaning. Quite a few of us on the forum have bought them.
Hmm, tempted to pick one up. Small for my lathe, but sometimes that's handy, and at that price...

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I forgot to talk about compatibility. Bison chucks can be depended on to adhere well within the tolerances of the D1-x standard. If your lathe is standard adhering, the chuck would have fit it.
My lathe has a MT4 taper for the spindle. So I guess I would need something between to use it.

I'm not unhappy with my little CX706. Just this morning I made a precise fit bushing and was able to match it to the shaft to probably 0.0002" or so with minimal taper basically a perfect fit for me. That being said I'm on the prowl for a nice (11-12") Standard Modern. My friendly machinist neighbour helped me machine a really hard ballscrew last night (I'm easily impressed when he starts quoting taper in microns), so I have SM envy. Perhaps I should look beyond the SM lathes, how do Colchester compare? Others that are similar quality?

You guys should have warned me that this hobby is addictive, just another 100HP, just another 50 cubic inches should do it, wait that's the other never ending (read expensive) hobby. ;-)

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
My lathe has a MT4 taper for the spindle.

That seems odd. Did you mean that your spindle has an MT4 taper INSIDE IT? Surely that isn't the primary drive system. Doesn't it also have a threaded spindle nose or a D1-x or or or? If so, I'd use that, not the morse taper.

The normal method is to get a back plate to fit your spindle and fit the backplate to the chuck.

Maybe I don't understand your question.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
That seems odd. Did you mean that your spindle has an MT4 taper INSIDE IT? Surely that isn't the primary drive system. Doesn't it also have a threaded spindle nose or a D1-x or or or? If so, I'd use that, not the morse taper.

The normal method is to get a back plate to fit your spindle and fit the backplate to the chuck.

Maybe I don't understand your question.

The lathe as supplied included 3, 4 jaw chucks (5") and a 240mm backplate that I have not used (yet). They all attach with three stud/nuts, just loosen them and the chuck rotates and then slips off.

Looks like the MT4 spindle nose taper is large enough to provide the 1" hole through the spindle, I'm guessing that the 3 stud adapter between the chuck and spindle likely has a MT4 taper to match the spindle?

I suppose you can remove the chuck and install a MT4 collet?

chuck.png

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member