• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Atlas Clausing lathe Calgary $750

Looks like a Gingery. Or rather the gingery looks like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are these any good as a starter lathe?

It depends. (Doncha hate answers that start that way!)

If you plan to reproduce Caterpiller D-10 parts, no. If you want to make small parts or maybe build models, it could be. From the pictures, there are no obvious signs of abuse or damage but we can't really judge how much wear is on the machine from this distance. How are the lead, cross-feed and compound screws and their associated nuts? Any stripped teeth in the back gears?

The $750 asking price seems high to me. No 4 jaw chuck? No steady rest or follow rest? Apparently minimal tooling included? Toolholder seems to be limited to a single tool at a time? Drill chuck or live centre for the tailstock? Is the bench even included? All this stuff adds up to real money pretty quickly. No matter what, it requires changing gears to change the feed rate as well as for threading. Some people find that tests their patience to the limit.

HTH

Craig in Oakville

It depends. (Doncha hate answers that start that way!)

If you plan to reproduce Caterpiller D-10 parts, no. If you want to make small parts or maybe build models, it could be. From the pictures, there are no obvious signs of abuse or damage but we can't really judge how much wear is on the machine from this distance. How are the lead, cross-feed and compound screws and their associated nuts? Any stripped teeth in the back gears?

The $750 asking price seems high to me. No 4 jaw chuck? No steady rest or follow rest? Apparently minimal tooling included? Toolholder seems to be limited to a single tool at a time? Drill chuck or live centre for the tailstock? Is the bench even included? All this stuff adds up to real money pretty quickly. No matter what, it requires changing gears to change the feed rate as well as for threading. Some people find that tests their patience to the limit.

HTH

Craig in Oakville

I guess my characterization as a 'starter lathe' in a hobbyist forum wasnt clear.

Good info on the value of accessories tho. Thanks!

What size is this thing? Says 6"? If it's a 6" mini lathe then $750 is the price of a new one.

It sure doesnt look like a 'mini lathe'. I could be wrong tho, some google image pics that look like it seem to show it as alot smaller than the pics.

Well in my opinion (which ain't worth alot) yes these can be a good starter lathe IF the price is right. However I think $750 is too much unless it includes lots of tooling and accessories. If it does not I think I would rather start with a new Asian 7x lathe for similar money and you will find accessories easier and cheaper for that. It appears the lathe is in good shape but those lathes are getting to be very old so some of them can be worn out (at least components of them).
Better craftsmen than myself have made some amazing model engineering projects with those and similar lathes.

I had wrongly judged the lathe to be bigger than the 6" advertised - there was another recent Calgary lathe (half disassembled) that was advertised as a 7" but was in reality a 14". Something about UK lathes advertising as 1/2 of what North American lathes do.

Back