• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Atlas 6x18 Edmonton area, $1250 on Kijiji

I should show my wife--apparently I'm golden!

Anyway, Sears stopped selling these lathes in mid-1957 so it is quite a bit older than the seller suggests. Price is crazy high for what is shown.

Craig

I should show my wife--apparently I'm golden!

Anyway, Sears stopped selling these lathes in mid-1957 so it is quite a bit older than the seller suggests. Price is crazy high for what is shown.

Craig
Although the lathe looks in nice shape i agree that is pretty high price. If it had a whack of tooling, qctp and holders, steady rests, chucks, dogs, faceplates, live centers, etc, it would be approaching that value.
I too thought those lathes were made into the 70's.

Could it be possible that Sears stopped selling their version of the lathe in 57 but possibly you could purchase a 618 lathe elsewhere after that time period?

Could it be possible that Sears stopped selling their version of the lathe in 57 but possibly you could purchase a 618 lathe elsewhere after that time period?
Yes, Atlas continue to produce and sell 6 inch lathes into the 1970s or early 80s. In 1974, they redesigned the venerable Atlas 618--the above Craftsman is just a rebadged 618. Most people refer to the redesigned machine as the "Mark II". It was to reduce costs on the machine and one of the main changes was to make the headstock out of Zamak, the same stuff the gears were always made of. The machines also had a more "modern" look. Most people prefer the classic 618 but there seem to be few people that are happy with their Mark II.

Craig

Either I am not up to spec on prices or that is a high price for a very old lathe that was a budget version. You can get Chinese new 7x14 lathes for less. I also so some other Atlas recently (smaller) for like few hundred.

Back