• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

A Bit of Canadianna

carrdo

Hi All,

I know that this forum doesn't deal with history but as a "Canadian" website I don't think many of us here are aware of this bit of Canadian history.

I guess I can say that I am one of the first true Canadian citizens being born here in Toronto in 1947. Prior to that year, there was no such thing as a "Canadian" citizen as anyone who came to this country, resided here for part or all of their life or who were born and lived in Canada before January 1st 1947 was legally deemed to be a "British Subject". It was only after WW II that Parliament here created a distinct Canadian citizenship so my mother, who came to Canada in 1909 when she was only two from the North of England by my maternal grandfather, who lived all of her life here, who voted in every Canadian election and who held only a valid Canadian passport found out sometimes in her late eighty's that she was not deemed to be a Canadian citizen for in order to become one, ONE HAD TO APPLY FOR IT!!!.

I think she only found this out, like millions of other Canadians at the time once, when there was a discussion on the CBC. She was so ticked off, she hit the roof but she still had to apply. A few months later and with no questions asked citizenship to her was granted. Myself, being born here after January 1st 1947, that was just fine and gave me Canadian citizenship automatically.

Last edited:
Interesting, my dad was born in 1929 and I don't remember (surprise) seeing anything in his paperwork regarding citizenship. He would have been 18 in 1947 and,,,,, a British Citizen.

Interesting, my dad was born in 1929 and I don't remember (surprise) seeing anything in his paperwork regarding citizenship. He would have been 18 in 1947 and,,,,, a British Citizen.

If your dad was born here, I believe it really was automatic and you didn't need to apply.

I think she only found this out, like millions of other Canadians at the time once, when there was a discussion on the CBC. She was so ticked off, she hit the roof but she still had to apply. A few months later and with no questions asked citizenship to her was granted. Myself, being born here after January 1st 1947, that was just fine and gave me Canadian citizenship automatically.
I was born in 1948, a proud citizen of Alberta, and had canadian citizenship and taxes stuffed into me whether I wanted it or not.:confused:

It took my son quite some time to get his dual citizenship . Year and a half to get his working permits but now I guess a 1/2 Canadian ? :) Either way , Canada is one beautiful country . I'm seeing more and more of it every year now . Off to Waterton today to get another glimpse of the country and it's beauty .

Back