• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

8 inch 4 jaw chuck, almost brand new, $900, Calgary, AB

91c493a5-b1fb-4395-9e04-9a7294de4085

Uhm, yeah. I’m getting two 10” 4J scrolls off Ali $750CAD (that includes shipping - that will go up some when the import fees hit). The intent is for table chucks on the mill, have to drill some mounting holes to match the table slots (drilling holes in a Bison seems like a sacrilege, but a new Sanou not so much).

Still it is two chucks, sort of specialty, larger and actually new - not “nearly new” - probably going to end up at about the asking price of what looks like a pretty standard piece of kit.

What would a 4J 'table chuck' do on a mill table that a vise would not do? Or do you mean for a rotary table or radial indexing platen?
Hi Peter, yes that is a good question. Working the end of round parts (obviously not very long) - CNC mill.

Here using the 13”, but it takes up quite a bit of space and it seems to be getting heavier (probably weights more than I do). So I thought a couple 10” chucks would suit well (the incremental cost for a second chuck was favourable - the shipping for two was slightly cheaper than for one, if I’d gotten only one the shipping would have cost more than the chuck - strictly speaking the second chuck will be ~$150). It works out well to have multiple stations on a given table setup.

Attachments

• IMG_0112.jpeg
    IMG_0112.jpeg
    627.9 KB · Views: 5
Ah yes I do the same with my 3-jaw to hold round objects vs a mill vice & v-blocks etc. It was the 4-jaw model that had me wondering. I thought maybe tall, skinny objects requiring more side support or gripping some kind of tube object from the inside out, so was just interested in what kind of part that might be.

The 4J will have less tendency to deflect between the jaws - depending on which direction the push is happening. One part I have made involves a through slot, I’m thinking I could snuggle the part deeper in the jaws and come between the jaws? Also intending to set one up on the 4th axis - again, nice to be able to snuggle between the jaws and minimize stick out (I.e for drilling a through hole).

I admit it. Truth is I’m just adding some bling.

Last edited:
Back