• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Over the top?

trlvn

Ultra Member
IMG_4705 Tool stand.jpg

So I was watching a Youtube video and noticed the guy had a little stand behind his lathe to keep a few of the commonly used tools handy. Obviously the chuck keys for both the 3-jaw and the drill chuck but also a few Allen wrenches that were used a lot. I thought: "I can whip up something like that!"

I went looking for an offcut to make it from and some wood that I bought at Lee Valley probably 20 years ago came into view. A package of 6 little pieces of random exotic woods that are basically the size you see above. Yeah, I guess that is well-enough seasoned!

Then it occurred to me that there is not a lot of height between the shelf and the cabinet above. Maybe it would be better to angle the holes so it is easier to get stuff in and out. Of course, it would be boring to have stuff angled just one way. And, actually, I don't have a set of metric Allen keys right at hand. So let's expand it to a full-ish set!

And since we've gone this far, I couldn't let it get splattered with random oils and such. So a couple of coats of amber shellac. I do love the colour and depth that shellac brings out.

So--over the top? Or not far enough?

;)

Craig
(The compulsive in me wishes that the 8mm key was silver like the 3 and 5.)

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
NICE.... But not as over the top as this........:p

Last edited: