• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

draw bolt rod

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Glad to be of help.

For the ones that are concerned about alignment of a weldment: one can always turn a ”pin” on one part and a close fitting socket on the other. Chamfer each well (weld prep), stick them together and weld around the circumference. Turn down the excess weld and you should have a nicely aligned part.
For even greater strength, thread both parts and leave a close fitting shoulder to align with the threaded bore’s matching short alignment section. Weld it all together. Should be as strong as a solid bar with the advantage of rolled instead of cut threads.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
As usual - I’m a bit late seeing this thread, but for anyone else that is thinking about welding on a bolt I’ll add this:
- I like this approach since my experience with redi rod is they have poor quality threads compared to a good quality grade 8 bolt (industrial supplier not CanTire please)
- use a bolt that is at least 3 or 4 inches. The added length can help make alignment easier. Some prep time setting up to do the weld is necessary but not difficult. There are lots of ways to do this, I like RobinHood’s.
- before welding is the perfect time to slide on one of @Susquatch centring collars.
-