• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

World's Largest Tree Crusher

terry_g

Ultra Member
I made the eight plus hour drive to Mackenzie B.C. last Sunday. I saw this on the way to our hotel. I stopped and got some pictures of it. It had two V12 Cummins engines for power. They were probably VT1710's 600 HP plus each. Its a big machine the rollers are 30 feet wide and 8 feet tall.

TgQQkrn.jpg

sqGM6Ev.jpg 7LDZGQR.jpg

h01mCjB.jpg

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Wow! Quite the machine! Farmers around here would love it. But in my opinion, quite wasteful. Hardwood should harvested not shredded. But I have some poplar forest I'd love to shred......

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Nothing got wasted in Mackenzie when all the mills were running. At the peak, two sawmills, a planer mill, a pulp mill, and a paper mill. The crusher made roads to get better stuff to the mills. The mushed up residue went to the pulp mill for chips and as hog fuel.

only one sawmill now, Mackenzie is 3700 people now, in the late 90s was 6000.

A good place to bring up kids, if you don't mind snow.

terry_g

Ultra Member
A Letourneau mechanic told me that the bolts Letourneau uses in their machinery have
a double helix thread and are very expensive. He also told me that the switches that control
the 600 volts to the drive motors were $8000 each and there were several of them. That
was over 20 years ago.

Ironman

Ultra Member
I worked in Mackenzie when they were building the first mill for Alexander Forest Products in 1967 I was on the trim saw and then the cut off saw. They were clearing the land for the town that year if I recall

KeeponDragon

Super User
I've worked all over BC as an Industrial Audiometric Technician...or in laymans terms...the hearing test truck guy...
Made 2 or 3 visits to Mackenzie...one of them...after dinner...I walked out to the 'crusher, climbed up into the cab, read the graffitti and smoked a doobie while the sun set over the snow...it was nice.
But yeah, that darn thing is huge lol
There's also the largest rock truck in the world, it's down in Creston I think. A Liehberr (sp?) possibly. The tires on it are redonkulous

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
I've worked all over BC as an Industrial Audiometric Technician...or in laymans terms...the hearing test truck guy...
Made 2 or 3 visits to Mackenzie...one of them...after dinner...I walked out to the 'crusher, climbed up into the cab, read the graffitti and smoked a doobie while the sun set over the snow...it was nice.
But yeah, that darn thing is huge lol
There's also the largest rock truck in the world, it's down in Creston I think. A Liehberr (sp?) possibly. The tires on it are redonkulous

A rite of passage, you are an honorary Mackenzian