• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Welding Gases & Tank Certification, Calgary

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
That’s what I used to think as well. The tank referenced to in this thread got its “+” rating back on this test. I inquired. Was told they do a bit more testing to see if it can meet that standard; it did. Hence the “+” after it having not had it for ~ 15 years.

did not know that, i always thought once it was gone that was it, as i have never seen it come back

i would personally rather have the 10 year star over the + myself, dont often see a 10% over filled bottle, and never if your getting trans filled bottles

now if they could turn a 5 year bottle into a 10 year bottle i would pay double the hydro test fee just to save the hassle of having to bring it back in 5 years!

KeeponDragon

Super User
After all this discussion, I've never felt better about the decision to alter my tanks appearance.
I have had one other outfit in town refuse to fill it however.
And that's their discretion.

What I didn't appreciate, was the (I think based on his attitude) the asst Mgr, instruct the clerk to put it down on my file that my o2 tank is never to be filled.
I asked him if he thought that was necessary. He said we get ppl all the time try to pull a fast one.
I said no, not that. Why did you think it necessary to give your employee those instructions, while I'm standing right here.
I took my receipt from the clerk, smiled politely and left.

It's one thing to take issue with a customer, but do so like that...kinda pissed me off.
The folks at KMS, albeit higher priced, have no problems taking my $$ for a 250 o2 fill.
Can't win everywhere can we?

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
What did you do to your bottle that the one outfit wouldn't fill it ? Give it a snazzy paint job ?

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I removed enough surface material to erase the markings indicating it was a Praxair tank.

Just on the collar ? Or was the tank stamped and you sanded the tank ?

Sanding the marking off the collar is pretty common, done with a sanding disc you can't even tell...but I know some have the collar and the tank stamped, I have a boc tank like that

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I wonder why there is still this issue of filling tanks or not filling them - almost all tanks are owned now AFAIK. You can always get customer to certify that they own the tank.

KeeponDragon

Super User
Just on the collar ? Or was the tank stamped and you sanded the tank ?

Sanding the marking off the collar is pretty common, done with a sanding disc you can't even tell...but I know some have the collar and the tank stamped, I have a boc tank like that
both on the collar and the tank shell. The shell's stampings aren't even that deep.