• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

"TM"(?) Lathe--$250, Markham, ON

trlvn

Ultra Member
$_59.JPG

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/markham-york-region/metal-lathe/1490788307

Seller says that the "lead screw will not engage" so that probably means busted gears in the headstock. BUT, at $250 it looks like a candidate for a rebuild. Alas, just too big for me.

I can read "England" on the last line of the speed plate but I can't figure out the manufacturer's name. Anybody?

Craig

ScottyM

I saw that one, make is Colchester, same as what I have. Was tempted at that price for the longer bed but somebody snagged it quick.

trlvn

Ultra Member
I wonder if the seller realized they vastly underpriced it and yanked the ad. Could even have been a typo: maybe the ad was supposed to read $2,250!

Craig

Brent H

Ultra Member
See if it comes up again I guess.... 2250 or 2500 may be over pricing a possibly very damaged lathe?

trlvn

Ultra Member
At anything over $1,000, I'd want to open up the covers and see how much shrapnel was inside!

Craig

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
At $250 it would be a total steal - that is a great looking hobby sized machine.

Lead screw not engaging - should be investigated - but at $250 its not a big deal.

Even at $1250 it looks like excellent price even if it needs lead screw work on engagement - far worse would be bent lead screw.

$2500 feels high but I would not be surprised if that was the intention of the seller.