Threading Insert Tool holder

Geoff

I have a bunch of 60 Deg. threading inserts so I thought I would rip up an insert holder for them. It turned out very well! Fairly easy to do. I just used 1" by 1" square bar (mild steel). Placed the insert in the desired location and scribed around it for a guideline. Setup the work piece in the mill at the desired angled (which is 60 Deg. fpr this insert) and slowly milled out the triangular section for the insert. I cut a relief at the bottom tip of the triangle which lets the insert seat well and also makes it easier to mill out! Once that was done, I located the hole to secure the insert by placing the insert in it's position and using a pin gauge to fit exact. Drilled and tapped 8-32 hole and the rest is gravy! I milled away some of the stock to make the shank 1/2". This took me about 2 hours and the most time consuming part was setting my vise at exactly 60 Deg. I did this by using a 60 Deg angle block and running up and down with a dial test indicator until the needle stayed on zero for the length of the angle block.

All in all this was a good little project and it didn't really cost me anything as I had all of the materials on hand (except for a 8-32 tap!!).

Attachments

• Photo 1-2-2016, 5 04 21 PM.jpg
    Photo 1-2-2016, 5 04 21 PM.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 22
  • Photo 1-2-2016, 5 04 36 PM.jpg
    Photo 1-2-2016, 5 04 36 PM.jpg
    971.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Photo 1-2-2016, 5 06 00 PM.jpg
    Photo 1-2-2016, 5 06 00 PM.jpg
    1,020.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Photo 1-2-2016, 5 08 06 PM.jpg
    Photo 1-2-2016, 5 08 06 PM.jpg
    931.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Photo 1-2-2016, 5 08 27 PM.jpg
    Photo 1-2-2016, 5 08 27 PM.jpg
    879.5 KB · Views: 18

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That looks really good. I've been meaning to make a (rotating) chamfering / counter-sinking tool using some inserts I have. Re the retention bolt, for some reason I thought it was a non-standard angle (ie not 82-deg or whatever typical flat heads are) & that had to be matched for proper seating or risk cracking the insert. Did you find that or maybe its a marketing thing to buy their hardware. Mine are torx head & a real fine pitch thread. I just assumed I would use them to avoid any issues, but I haven't got that far to check the thread.

Geoff

I have made a few different tool holders now and I have used various retaining screws. I made a holder for DNMG inserts and if I recall, I just used a 5/16-28 with a flat head, or something like that. The holder itself secures the insert in place and I have never had any issues with them!! This threading toolholder is similar however the inserts have a countersink so I just used a 8-32 screw that seemed to fit the insert. Again it feels really solid and the cutout where the insert fits into provides the bulk if the support.

I hope this helps!