• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Surface Grinding Bench (Sharpening) Stones (an attempt at making precision ground flat stones)

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
A little while back I bought two of these.

IMG_2624.jpeg

They are the Asian knock-off of the Norton bench stones. Reviews say they are quite soft - I would agree with that.

Are they flat? Well, when rubbing them together, they seem not too bad. Each one had some high spots and the reverse side had some lows.

So I decided to copy Robin Renzetti and surface grind them (my little grinder and my skill level are far from Robin’s, so my result will not match his).

I ground them dry with a Norton diamond wheel on my INGAR RT-618-2A. I used the shop vac for dust control.

Here are some pictures of the process.

IMG_4558.jpeg

The high area is clearly visible on this side of the one stone. It took about 15 thousands to get this side flat.

Here is the second stone with a dished area. I used three folded up pieces of paper (one is just visible) between the stone and the mag chuck to stop it from rocking - 3 points of contact (as the bottom side was not yet ground, but was flatter than the top).

The first picture is 6 thou after touch-off on the highest point. The next two are 2 thou DoC passes.

IMG_4559.jpeg

IMG_4560.jpeg

IMG_4561.jpeg

Almost got it… just the tiniest area left

IMG_4562.jpeg

1/2 thou DoC for the last cutting pass. Then four ”spark-out“ passes (no more down feed) with ever smaller step-overs per pass to finish off the side.

IMG_4563.jpeg

So were they flat? Not really. Now they are orders of magnitude better than before... I call that a win.

Probably will get a pair of Norton stones in the near future and grind them as well now that I know I can do it with the tools I have. Nortons are quite a bit more $$s than these cheap Harbor Freight ones. Did not want to practice on the dear stuff…

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Two questions Rudy.

Do you have a link to the diamond wheel you used?

Why did you choose the rectangular stones? Or perhaps a better question is why not the round ones?

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Do you have a link to the diamond wheel you used?
Here is a closeup of the Norton Diamond wheel.

IMG_4565.jpeg

Why did you choose the rectangular stones? Or perhaps a better question is why not the round ones?
Because I am cheap. No, in all seriousness: the rectangular stones were very economical from Harbor Freight and it was going to be an experiment. They do not have them in the round format at HF that I could see.

Here are the links for the rectangular and round India Combination stones at MSCDirect.

Prices in USD.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Because I am cheap. No, in all seriousness: the rectangular stones were very economical from Harbor Freight and it was going to be an experiment. They do not have them in the round format at HF that I could see.

OK. Thank you!

I prefer round if I can get them at a reasonable price.

Boy, that diamond wheel is a solid one! Prolly not in my price range. Something else to keep an eye open for I guess!

BaitMaster

Super User
someone help me get a surface grinder. this looks super fun. The thought of precision flat stones really brings out the knife sharpening nerd side of me...... I mean ya, I can get my knives sharp enough to cut phone book paper..... but what if I.......

Honestly I have problems.

BaitMaster

Super User
Getting a surface grinder is just a way to satisfy your lust for a machine that is really useful.

Wait, that doesn't sound right.

I'll keep me eye open for you!
If you find one you'll make me come and pick it up!

Quite the plot by an easterner to get an Alberta boy out of his homeland.....

It's a deal.

Hope all is well with the corn and beans and the home front there big fellow.... ;)

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
They don't take up much room. And you can hang stuff off them, just like most of the treadmills that seemed like a great idea at the time.

I use mine once a month maybe, but nothing can replace it when i need it...just like every other tool. Great for sharpening stuff too.
I wish I had room for one...