• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Stuart’s big dumb lathe

Martin w

Yep, it’s a #4. Very much appreciate the thought, though.

Damn. Now I’m thinking about how nice a carbide tipped live centre would be…
I will look tomorrow and see if I have a #4. I believe mine are all #5 though. The carbide tipped one is a dead center.
Martin

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Damn. Now I’m thinking about how nice a carbide tipped live centre would be…

Only way to go. 2nd choice is non-carbide live center.

I'm not a fan of dead centers in the tailstock. Only in the spindle or when they turn with the work like a live center would.

Dead centers do work just fine with a bit of grease or oil but why buy both kinds?

Last edited:

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member

I'm not a fan of dead centers in the tailstock. Only in the spindle or when they turn with the work like a live center would.

Dead centers do work just fine with a bit of grease or oil but why buy both kinds?
Meh...I use both. Dead centers can be more accurate, have less stick-out, less chatter, much easier to true. I will use them for speeds under 250rpm.

Martin w

I have a little can of grease from my Dad's toolbox. Works awesome on a dead center. I'm sure it is lead based though. Hence the reason I never use it.
Martin