• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Making Anvils

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor

At the forum meet up we were talking about the difficulty of finding an anvil here in Alberta. This video shows a guy making one from scrap square stock (big stuff) and welding it all together. It's pretty cool stuff. I was thinking I have a fair bit of 4130 - I wonder if it could be welded together and then heat treated for hardness? I have an anvil but two anvils is better than one... ;)

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
When welding chunks like that, wouldn't there be a tiny air gap between layers? Does that matter?

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
That is a really big project considering the primitive tools he has to use. Fun to watch the fast motion hammering.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I'd like to visit his scrap yard where he has access to steel like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogpounder

I have just found out through a wood supplier that he has a shipment coming to Calgary in the near future of some anvils he found while buying other metal working equipment out east. I'll post when I hear its here in Calgary. He does have several old lathes in his shop in Crossfield now if anyone wants I can pass on info on contacting him.