• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Maker Faire 2015 - Meetup?

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Sure, josh-atsymbol-ekzact.ws
Alternatively uploading to youtube works well, as I can scrape from there pretty easily too!

Josh

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
@Kris Jensen can you get us a price on a length of 3/4 hot rolled steel. I will look too and where ever we can find it cheaper we will buy a few lengths. My spindle bore is .84" through so if we get something that fits through we can cut the bars into about 2 foot lengths and the machine will part off the finished pieces. That will be just dandy. Hey @Tom O the base on my machine is 40"x 18" how big is the cart you have? @Jwest7788 if I give you a pile of my worn out and chipped tooling do you want to put a display board together. I don't needthe stuff back when you are done. I am offering because you were worried about your tooling going missing and I have lots of end mills, drills, saws, inserts, and tool holders that are not any good for machining.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
@Alexander sure I can put a display together, I probably have some chipped tooling lying around to contribute too.

I'll also get a quote for 3/4" hot rolled.

Got a message back from the faire organizer:

"I need to meet right away here with the tech team over at Spark and power distribution will be one of the things we will discuss. I'm not thinking you will need a very long cord as we can probably drop a distro right at your booth. As for connector, I will need to check on that. My guess is twist lock or the residential stove/dryer type. Wouldn't surprise me if they had a break-out for both.

As for table, yes, if you could find a sturdier table that would be best. I don't think I could source a strong enough rental table.

As for passes I have four passes provisioned for you"

So we can for sure bring four people. Woot.

Edit: @Kris Jensen , what format should I have an initial sign design created? I work with printers for trade show signs etc at work, so I can use typical professional print formats (like vectorizes .eps or .ai files) but not totally sure what format the CNC needs, or needs me close to for easy conversion?

Sent from my iPhone.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Federal metals gal says 3/4" round bar is $1.27/foot in 10 foot increments.

She seemed confused when I called though. Will call again later too.

Sent from my iPhone.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I'll bring home this crowd bar setup this week, have to arrange for you guys to get it.

Kris Jensen

@Alexander sure I can put a display together, I probably have some chipped tooling lying around to contribute too.

I'll also get a quote for 3/4" hot rolled.

Got a message back from the faire organizer:

"I need to meet right away here with the tech team over at Spark and power distribution will be one of the things we will discuss. I'm not thinking you will need a very long cord as we can probably drop a distro right at your booth. As for connector, I will need to check on that. My guess is twist lock or the residential stove/dryer type. Wouldn't surprise me if they had a break-out for both.

As for table, yes, if you could find a sturdier table that would be best. I don't think I could source a strong enough rental table.

As for passes I have four passes provisioned for you"

So we can for sure bring four people. Woot.

Edit: @Kris Jensen , what format should I have an initial sign design created? I work with printers for trade show signs etc at work, so I can use typical professional print formats (like vectorizes .eps or .ai files) but not totally sure what format the CNC needs, or needs me close to for easy conversion?

Sent from my iPhone.
It says I can import .ai files(haven't tried it though) so start with that. And my buddy at Russell metals is on vacation right now but he should be back this weekend so I'll get the quote then I don't know if it's going to be much cheaper then Federal though but I'll still try.

Kris Jensen

Anyone have ideas on the sign, I'm thinking of having "Canadian Hobby Metal Workers" right across the middle with cut outs of different metal working equipement all around it, what type of machines should we put on it?

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Hey kris,
I asked a colleague (professional designer) to come up with something for us. Should have it ready in the coming days to be considered.

JW

Sent from my iPhone.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
You guys still want those crowd control bars? I have to make arrangements. ...

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
As we're at two weeks away, I am starting to get nervous about my event planning skills. As such, my apologies for the wall of text below.

Questions up front / follow up:
@Kris Jensen Any update on the hot roll quote?

@Alexander How have you been making out with the models and such? Is it remotely helpful if I go through thingiverse looking for projects that will fit in the lathe?

I was chatting with @Janger earlier today, and will be securing the stanchions (crowd control bars. --> I asked around till someone knew, haha) tomorrow.

@Tom O If it's cool with you, we'll plan to grab the cart from you in the days leading up to moving the equipment to the science center?
--> Just thinking, do you have a picture of the cart lying around?

An update from the organizer:
Organizer said:
On September 5th, this coming Saturday, we will be hosting two walkthroughs of TELUS Spark, the venue for Maker Faire. These will go through what to expect at Maker Faire and show you where you will be setup during the event. The first walkthrough starts at 11am, and the second at 1pm. Attend whichever one works best for you. I have attached a map showing you where to park and where to meet for these sessions.

The other really important date is Thursday, September 10th. That’s the day I would encourage you to bring your stuff to TELUS Spark and then stay for free to experience the ever popular Spark’s Adult’s Only Night. This will also serve as our Maker Happy Hour. That’s where you get to checkout what fellow Makers are exhibiting at this year’s Maker Faire, and do it ahead of the weekend crowd. Adult’s Only Night and the Maker Happy Hour both begin at 6pm and go until 10pm. You are welcome to come anytime in that window.

@Kris Jensen , @Alexander , would you two like to come to the walkthrough on Saturday? If so, does either of the two times work better or worse for you?
Additionally, should we plan to setup on the 10th like recommended? -- Stay for happy hour and see everyone else's setup?

Lastly, I'm going to go through the steps to get our passes tomorrow. I'll grab all four passes if I can, does anyone else want to join us for the faire?

Summary of things that are still on my mind:

===============================
To-Do:
Models to be CNC - @Alexander - Let me know,
Cost of Materials - Pending final estimate before we make a move.
----> Materials - Stick to cheap steel for the majority, maybe bring some nicer stuff
Passes -- @Jwest7788 to get passes from organizer
Signage -- @Jwest7788 will have a design ready for consideration (tomorrow I believe)
Video -- @Jwest7788 -- To gather video equipment and video showing equipment. Plan to record @Kris Jensen 's CNC Plasma Cutter doing it's thing with the sign.
---> If anyone else can contribute footage, it would be appreciated! (@Alexander , maybe some test runs? --> Should function as an advertisement for whatever is being CNC'd later?)
Power - Follow up again with organizer, what type of plug is required, what proximity will we be to power? (Follow up email sent today)
Follow up with @Alexander and @Kris Jensen -- Saturday open house, Sept

Complete:
Transport of @Alexander 's CNC --> Truck with a power tailgate
Cart to move CNC into Faire --> Assuming @Tom O is still happy to help provide this!
Crowd Control - @Janger 's stanchion (crowd control bars)
Confirmation of the tables they're giving us. (They are not sufficient for holding the CNC, using the cart instead)

Tentative To-Do Items: (Might Skip?)
Plexiglas shield to reduce risk of chips flying into crowd.
@Jwest7788 to bring my mini mill (as it's light enough for one man to move.)
@Jwest7788 to make + bring a "display" of end mills, lathe tools, odds and ends.
Note to self: remember to remind everyone to bring Goggles.

Attachments

• Maker Faire Map for Makers.pdf
    133.1 KB · Views: 1

Tom O

Ultra Member
that is something I was wondering about the lathe is it on a table as theirs will probably be the folding type, the dolly could be changed a bit to work.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I have read your notes and I'll think about the details. I do want to go on the walk through, does the 11am work for everyone who is interested in attending the walk through. And yes I will set up Thursday night if that works for everyone.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I was thinking about doing a test run and making a decent video we can put on loop. Are you available to help make the video on Saturday? I am probably going to be working in the garage before and after the walk through if that works for you. We could try machining a few ideas. I'll go get some 1" hot rolled on Friday.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
that is something I was wondering about the lathe is it on a table as theirs will probably be the folding type, the dolly could be changed a bit to work.
We definitely need an alternate solution from what they are providing. I think using the cart makes sense, definitely. What would need modification
--> I planned on bringing some plywood "donuts" to rest the wheels on/in to keep it stationary, not sure if this is a good solution.

I have read your notes and I'll think about the details. I do want to go on the walk through, does the 11am work for everyone who is interested in attending the walk through. And yes I will set up Thursday night if that works for everyone.
11am works perfectly for me. Sounds great. We'll aim for Thursday the 5th transport to the faire. I'll be sure I am available to help with the transportation.

@Kris Jensen this all work for you?

I was thinking about doing a test run and making a decent video we can put on loop. Are you available to help make the video on Saturday? I am probably going to be working in the garage before and after the walk through if that works for you. We could try machining a few ideas. I'll go get some 1" hot rolled on Friday.
If you simply record the footage, I have been gathering video from my own shop, and @Janger sent some video and pics to me, I can manage the video production on my end. Just send me the video!
Having said that, I may be able to come by after the walk through, have to double check with my SO. Will confirm