• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Long shot... Emco Maier V10/P tailstock

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
My old girl turned 60 this year. She was built in 1964 and still does the job!

But the tailstock is quite sloppy - the barrel and sleeve are worn, and when the cotter is tightened, the barrel moves horizontally by a couple of thou.
It has a Morse 2 internal taper which is also damaged and should be refinished. Since the barrel bore is hard, the morse reamers just skate and therefore internal grinding would be needed. Out of my range, unfortunately.

So the long shot is - does anyone have a lead on a V10 or V10P that is being parted out or sitting in the back 40 somewhere?

Thanks for looking,

Don

tailstock.jpeg

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Since the barrel bore is hard, the morse reamers just skate and therefore internal grinding would be needed.

That sounds strange. I've heard tail stock barrel bores are not normally hardened?

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
That sounds strange. I've heard tail stock barrel bores are not normally hardened?
Yeah thats what bothers me. I suspect the bore has become work hardened.
When I purchased the machine 25 years ago, there was evidence of some brutality, and one area in particular was the tailstock. The previous user had a collection of MT2 large diameter drills. Judging by the galled and scored shanks, those big drills spun inside the tailstock bore.

I can live with the sloppiness because I know about it and adjust accordingly, but the next owner may not.