• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

First Milling Machine $452 Mississauga Ont

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
???

eb352d4c-d2e6-4117-946d-ef3e4240c1be

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Are machines in ON getting cheaper and cheaper and almost free or am I missing something here - at first look the mill looks like a mill and is not missing anything.

Proxule

Ultra Member
Are machines in ON getting cheaper and cheaper and almost free or am I missing something here - at first look the mill looks like a mill and is not missing anything.
I asked the same question!
Next question is when do we do a road trip?

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Seems a little off.
He also has a Fabmaster ironworker for $678 in perfect condition.
I mean, cheap is good but isn't it usually in round numbers?
Like 650 or 675 or 700?
$452 and $678 is just odd.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Either there is something wrong with it or the guy selling is clueless.

Stuart Samuel

Premium Member
Afraid I scooped these, folks. Same guy who was selling a bunch of machining tools for $200. It’s a furniture (chairs) company that used to do some modifications and fabrication in house, but has given that up. When I was buying the tools, he mentioned the ironworker and mill, and said the company was “very motivated” to get rid of them. My jaw damned near fell off when I found out how motivated.

Going to look at them tomorrow. Need to sort out how I’m moving them, they don’t have a forklift sufficient to load.

U-Haul 6x12 trailer has sufficient capacity (3710 lbs), but the ramp is only rated for 1810??

Stuart Samuel

Premium Member
Thinking I might assemble a frame on site. We have a 3 ton chain hoist (lord, is it ever slow…), and hoist it.

For reference, a frame I made years ago for some 1920ish lights from a bank in Ottawa.
(10 year younger me for scale)

Attachments

• IMG_1273.jpeg
    IMG_1273.jpeg
    576.6 KB · Views: 23

Stuart Samuel

Premium Member
Have people had much luck with tow truck companies, for machinery moving? I called around a few years ago, and they were: a) confused, or b) aghast. Hardly gave me the time of day.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Thinking I might assemble a frame on site. We have a 3 ton chain hoist (lord, is it ever slow…), and hoist it.

Those frames are strong but I doubt they are suitable for lifting a First Mill. First's are heavier than Bridgeports. For some reason I remember just shy of 4000 pounds. But a slow 3 ton chain hoist is absolutely perfect.

Have people had much luck with tow truck companies, for machinery moving? I called around a few years ago, and they were: a) confused, or b) aghast. Hardly gave me the time of day.

The towing companies will all avoid you claiming insurance, license, risk, law, etc.

You need to find a one-man private outfit with a 2 ton boom crane on his truck. Some cash under the table and it never happened - except your First somehow magically ended up on your trailer.

There are also outfits in the big cities that will rent you a gantry crane for the day.

Lastly, sounds like the outfit that has it might be in an industrial area. Might pay to look around. There might be a nearby place with a heavy duty lift truck and an operator who would love a case of beer and some cash.

If it's a rural area, lots of farmers have heavy duty front loaders on their tractors.

I went to get my mail a week ago or so and noticed that a neighbour of mine just had a truck arrive with two skids full of construction materials 16 ft long and no way to unload it. They were all looking sad and hopeless.

I saw my hero chance and went and got my loader tractor. I pulled each skid out till one end was on my forks and the far end was on the trucks lift gate, and then we lowered both ends to the ground. Easy peasy to grab on center and move to their driveway after that. There is always a way. You just need to find a wannabe hero!

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hmm. Spec sheet for the First LC 1 1/2 from Long Chang Machinery says 2222 lbs (1010kg).

I don't claim any knowledge of Firsts except that they are heavier than Bridgeports. Likely a 1.5 hp (assuming that's what the 1 1/2 means) is significantly lighter than a 3 or 5 hp model. But again, I have no idea.

Regardless, I wouldn't load that rack with 1 ton. Even if it's rated for that, it would be for a distributed load not a point load.

I'm not trying to be difficult though. Just trying to help. Better safe than sorry.

Stuart Samuel

Premium Member
Much appreciated. I have no desire to wreck decent machines, and even less desire to call my boss and tell him we’re on our way to the hospital. Done that once, someone decided they’d give a 20’ piece of 4x4x 1/4” wall stainless tube a push, rolled it over the tip of their middle finger and added a new point of articulation to the last digit. And that was only ~250 lbs.

I agree with you, while most pallet racking is rated for two 2000 lb skids per level, that’s evenly distributed, not a point load in the centre.