• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Finally completed it.

fixerup

Super User
I have managed to get a Round Tuit and finished the right hand lead screw shield on my lathe. Another one off the whiteboard.

Nice upgrade.
This shield is unique and does the job were well.
Were do you buy a screw shield like that?
I once thought I could use a measuring tape coil, but it is to narrow and doesn't wrap well.

Ironman

Ultra Member
They are $5 each on Alibaba or Aliexpress, I can't remember where I got it for sure. I linked to AliX and the price is way high, but it's Justiflation.

What was much harder to find was the info for the end caps you have to make. Wrong size and the coil jambs up. I used some 2-7/8 oil pipe for the big end, and bored it out to 2.55. Just cause you measured it at 2..375 fully compressed doesn't mean beans. I used a Acetel spool of 1.25 for the inside with a flange to the pipe I.D, the small end does not need an outer pipe, just a flanged spool.
I found this from my post on Shopfloortalk:
When assembled and installed it would jam up. I realized the outer guide needed to be much larger, as the spring was expanding more than I had counted on. So I pushed things apart on the press, cut more material out of the outer guide shell, and threw away the outer shell on the small end. I also trimmed the big end of the spring with a zip disk to be square at full extension. So finally it worked on the bench and the lathe.
As every lathe is different, anybody installing these aftermarket will have to figure it out on their own sort of like I did.

fixerup

Super User
They are $5 each on Alibaba or Aliexpress, I can't remember where I got it for sure. I linked to AliX and the price is way high, but it's Justiflation.

What was much harder to find was the info for the end caps you have to make. Wrong size and the coil jambs up. I used some 2-7/8 oil pipe for the big end, and bored it out to 2.55. Just cause you measured it at 2..375 fully compressed doesn't mean beans. I used a Acetel spool of 1.25 for the inside with a flange to the pipe I.D, the small end does not need an outer pipe, just a flanged spool.
I found this from my post on Shopfloortalk:
When assembled and installed it would jam up. I realized the outer guide needed to be much larger, as the spring was expanding more than I had counted on. So I pushed things apart on the press, cut more material out of the outer guide shell, and threw away the outer shell on the small end. I also trimmed the big end of the spring with a zip disk to be square at full extension. So finally it worked on the bench and the lathe.
As every lathe is different, anybody installing these aftermarket will have to figure it out on their own sort of like I did.
Thank you for the write-up, assembly tip and the link. It's on my bucket list.