• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Cardboard Box Solutions

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I've started a new thread on cardboard box solutions. :cool: Please post any cardboard box ideas which are innovative, effective, and CHEAP! If this thread turns into a good thread I will make it sticky. Try to stay on topic. Your post has to say cardboard box for this thread. And since I'm making arbitrary rules you have to also include a picture, or a video, or a sketch, or something visual.

Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Spray booth made of a cardboard box. When too much overspray starts coming out of the booth - shut the door. A wIre hanger holds parts up. Turn the wire when you want to rotate the part. Folds down for storage when you are done.

img_4026-jpeg.37436

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I have a similar spray booth for airbrushing.....

I like the filament dryer. A nice filament drying box is something I've been meaning to build for years. Simple solutions are often the best, simply because they're the ones that actually get done.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Janger - Can't we change that to just cardboard instead of cardboard box?

In the meantime......

I recently cut a cardboard box in half, cut most of the top out, and put it on the mill table beside my vise. It acts like a shield to trap swarf so it doesn't fly everywhere. It's easy to move and adjust for maximum effectiveness. It's not perfect but it's way better than nothing.

20231216_093942.jpg

Makes cleaning up much easier too. Sweel the vise swarf into the box and dump the box into the appropriate scrap pail.

Here is another varient when you need more spade and visibility.

20231216_092542.jpg

I don't have a 3D printer. So I often make prototypes out of cardboard or wood and glue them together.

Last edited:

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@CWret card board box sawdust containment for mitre saws.
I tried a spray paint containment tent from Princess Auto. On sale for about $20 i think. It seemed like a good idea, better looking and more scientific than a plain old cardboard box. Here’s a couple of pics:

A2F623FB-7B46-41B9-9336-DF5FD79F9604.jpeg E1C0A135-B2FA-4752-A70B-758B93431883.jpeg D0980A6B-400C-4A9E-9233-105C1A48888C.jpeg

I switched back to the cardboard box since it worked much better for me.
The sides of the tent gets in the way and conflicts with the work piece vs just cutting the cardboard. Also, the cardboard in vacuum friendly but the tent’s thin plastic gets sucked into the vacuum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor

In the meantime......

I recently cut a cardboard box in half, cut most of the top out, and put it on the mill table beside my vise. It acts like a shield to trap swarf so it doesn't fly everywhere. It's easy to move and adjust for maximum effectiveness. It's not perfect but it's way better than nothing.

I don't have a 3D printer. So I often make prototypes out of cardboard or wood and glue them together.
No, you have to say cardboard box. but you did so this is good. :D
And we need a picture, or a vid, or something. Or it didn't happen. I'll add that to this thread's rules.

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My shop revolves around cardboard boxes for parts & item storage. I might have 200 by now. They all have a cheapo masking tape label & I am perpetually shifting contents & location. I used to get 2 specific sizes for free from work that were otherwise destined for recycle. Unfortunately that source has dried up. What's important to me is 1) they are the same width so they stack & you can utilize shelf space 2) easy open lid although I've also used stick on Velcro tabs 3) sufficiently strong box thickness as sometimes its nearly filled with fasteners, metal objects or whatever. For lighter weight stuff I've used shoeboxes which are sometimes consistent width. Amazon boxes are abundant but are the typical top flap which is less convenient when you are in & outa lot. I've made my own lids but they are kind of ugly.

There are nice ones out there, but min qty is kind of a killer. For example these & what's nice is range of taller ones is available on the same footprint. The easy open flap style is what I prefer.

I also use boxes for drawer dividers but they compete with dollar store plastic trays. Same problem, trays are always a dimension that almost works but could be better. I've been trying to think of a 3DP component that could allow one to 'make' boxes/trays by cutting rectangles of cardboard from scraps which are always available. Glue guns work well to bond cardboard. But the best I can come up with is essentially 'L' corner stock, kind of like how instrument cases are made. Now that's getting to be more like work though. I can buy a sheet of 1/8" Masonite & make a lot of storage solutions.

1702743568199.png

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
My shop revolves around cardboard boxes for parts & item storage. I might have 200 by now. They all have a cheapo masking tape label & I am perpetually shifting contents & location. I used to get 2 specific sizes for free from work that were otherwise destined for recycle. Unfortunately that source has dried up. What's important to me is 1) they are the same width so they stack & you can utilize shelf space 2) easy open lid although I've also used stick on Velcro tabs 3) sufficiently strong box thickness as sometimes its nearly filled with fasteners, metal objects or whatever. For lighter weight stuff I've used shoeboxes which are sometimes consistent width. Amazon boxes are abundant but are the typical top flap which is less convenient when you are in & outa lot. I've made my own lids but they are kind of ugly.

There are nice ones out there, but min qty is kind of a killer. For example these & what's nice is range of taller ones is available on the same footprint. The easy open flap style is what I prefer.

I also use boxes for drawer dividers but they compete with dollar store plastic trays. Same problem, trays are always a dimension that almost works but could be better. I've been trying to think of a 3DP component that could allow one to 'make' boxes/trays by cutting rectangles of cardboard from scraps which are always available. Glue guns work well to bond cardboard. But the best I can come up with is essentially 'L' corner stock, kind of like how instrument cases are made. Now that's getting to be more like work though. I can buy a sheet of 1/8" Masonite & make a lot of storage solutions.

View attachment 41673
What about the plastic corner protectors you can buy to protect drywall corners?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor

In the meantime......

Makes cleaning up much easier too. Sweel the vise swarf into the box and dump the box into the appropriate scrap pail.

Here is another varient when you need more spade and visibilit
20231216_092542-jpg.41669

@Susquatch ! You added new pictures - they make your post so much better thanks. I like how you customized the bottom of the cardboard box to fit around the hold downs on the vise.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
For laughs, picture this.......

I needed a costume for a Halloween party when I was in Engineering school. I decided to go as an Intel Chip. Plan is to paint a cardboard box black add the logo and use aluminum foil to represent the pins. So I find a box and cutout holes for my head and arms. The box is a bit on the small side. So I do a trial fit, arms pointed straight up slide the box down and before I get me head through the box gets stuck. I can barely breathe and I can't get the dam thing off for a good 10 minutes, my hands are useless pointing straight up, I can't see, I'm wondering around my apartment like a Intel zombie.

Eventually got loose and made bigger holes.

I told my wife, she came up with the news clip, Engineering student dies of suffocation in failed Halloween costume attempt. Would have made a great video.