• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Wyvern lathe in Ontario $1250

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Wow, that's a beast.
Is there a rigger or another option to move it?
(assuming you have accounted for the 575v 3-phase motor...)

I've had my eyes open for moving options in my area for some time and only found riggers that are too expensive. The 3 phase motor starter is apparently burned out anyway.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Canadium: If something like that happens to you let me know - I am not home right now but we can try and arrange a move! I will not be back until mid April though :( .... @chickenlights is sometimes around and in that area, he has moving power :)

@Canadium: If something like that happens to you let me know - I am not home right now but we can try and arrange a move! I will not be back until mid April though :( .... @chickenlights is sometimes around and in that area, he has moving power :)

Thankyou Brent! I will definitely keep you in mind. I have already passed up several outstanding deals because I don't have the capacity to unload. I've been told renting a fork lift for one day will cost me about $600. Seems terribly steep to me. I'm very tempted to just buy a second hand forklift but then I probably wouldn't have enough money left over for any machines!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
For what it's worth, I looked around for a rigger when I bought all those machines in the Fall.
I found a guy with a small truck with a overhead crane with 3 ton capacity so focused on small jobs which is a good niche.
I had him from 9 am to 1 pm and he lifted a 22 ton capacity press, a 10 x 24 surface grinder and a 6x18 surface grinder which he delivered to my home about 10 kms away.
Total bill was $450 tax included.
Obviously local to me but searching for that sort of company might yield results.

This is the 22-ton press.
1616717058490.png

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Canadium : I have reasonable access to a 5 ton trailer and a smaller one and the truck can tow lots. For unloading I have a 2.5 ton mobile lift thing - but it is also very easy to strip lathes off the boxes and do things in a couple lifts - typically safer anyway as it gets that top heavy part down low and you do not have to worry about tipping during transport. I can always bring some lads to help as well.

My only issue is my own availability - LOL - but, if it works out and timing works it is all good! We picked up @architect's lathe and got that into his shop. The lathe you were looking at was a bit bigger but not something we couldn't do! - and we are really cheap ;)

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
AGAIN! I am jealous of your options in Southern Ontario!!!!

....but I still don't want to live there....;)

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I’m the same as you, when I’m in the area I’m happy to pitch in even if it’s a small detour
It’s just catching me when I’m home and can help :D

Chipper5783

That looks like a good opportunity. 2800 pounds is a good lift, but there are lots of options available - depends on what resources you have in your area. I used to have a field mechanic from just down the road come and unload machines for me, I hade a farmer come over with a big tractor, I also know a guy with a little deck truck similar to what DavidR8 used - the point being that is a pretty easy lift.

The ubiquitous 2 ton engine cranes (I have one, it is great) in practical terms it is only good for 1000#, because when pulled into the 2T position it has a very small work envelope.

Have you got the power sorted out? 575-3 phase is not a big deal, but it will set you back if you are starting from scratch. It may be worth doing, because once you have the 3 phase and the 575v (which are separate issues, then it opens up a lot of opportunities. I added 575v capabilities when my first little mill showed up, I have since acquired 3 more 575v machines that were extremely in expensive (most any machine that is 575v is going to be a commercial class machine). Of course there are other good options instead of going to 575-3 phase, discussed at length here and else where.

As a first lathe, I'd be nervous because it likely needs some repair (which would require a lathe), and the top speed is pretty low (I use speeds up to 1200 quite a bit). However, you have the small lathe, and the two would compliment each other nicely.

I can't see any reasonable excuse not to get that into your shop ASAP!

That looks like a good opportunity. 2800 pounds is a good lift, but there are lots of options available - depends on what resources you have in your area. I used to have a field mechanic from just down the road come and unload machines for me, I hade a farmer come over with a big tractor, I also know a guy with a little deck truck similar to what DavidR8 used - the point being that is a pretty easy lift.

The ubiquitous 2 ton engine cranes (I have one, it is great) in practical terms it is only good for 1000#, because when pulled into the 2T position it has a very small work envelope.

Have you got the power sorted out? 575-3 phase is not a big deal, but it will set you back if you are starting from scratch. It may be worth doing, because once you have the 3 phase and the 575v (which are separate issues, then it opens up a lot of opportunities. I added 575v capabilities when my first little mill showed up, I have since acquired 3 more 575v machines that were extremely in expensive (most any machine that is 575v is going to be a commercial class machine). Of course there are other good options instead of going to 575-3 phase, discussed at length here and else where.

As a first lathe, I'd be nervous because it likely needs some repair (which would require a lathe), and the top speed is pretty low (I use speeds up to 1200 quite a bit). However, you have the small lathe, and the two would compliment each other nicely.

I can't see any reasonable excuse not to get that into your shop ASAP!

I'm sorry to say I am not the outgoing type of person that knows everyone and his cousin and can easily convince everyone to do favors for me. I'm the kind that prefers to hide in his garage with his lathe. Its a great type of personality to have during a pandemic but not so much when you need help to move 2800 lbs of steel into your shop.

As far as the power is concerned I had half a mind to just replace the motor with a single phase unit. Either way I thought I could probably sort it out eventually. It would be a big long term restoration project in any case. I was more immediately concerned with just getting it to my place.

AGAIN! I am jealous of your options in Southern Ontario!!!!

....but I still don't want to live there....;)

I'm not sure Shawn where you are located but even in Southern Ontario some of the deals require long distance travel. I used to curse at the climate here and seriously considered moving south of the border many years ago. Today I'm glad I'm in Ontario and not the USA!

@Canadium : I have reasonable access to a 5 ton trailer and a smaller one and the truck can tow lots. For unloading I have a 2.5 ton mobile lift thing - but it is also very easy to strip lathes off the boxes and do things in a couple lifts - typically safer anyway as it gets that top heavy part down low and you do not have to worry about tipping during transport. I can always bring some lads to help as well.

My only issue is my own availability - LOL - but, if it works out and timing works it is all good! We picked up @architect's lathe and got that into his shop. The lathe you were looking at was a bit bigger but not something we couldn't do! - and we are really cheap ;)
Oh good, want to move that massive K&T Milwaukee that's been for sale forever in huntsville into my tiny garage? Lol

For what it's worth, I looked around for a rigger when I bought all those machines in the Fall.
I found a guy with a small truck with a overhead crane with 3 ton capacity so focused on small jobs which is a good niche.
I had him from 9 am to 1 pm and he lifted a 22 ton capacity press, a 10 x 24 surface grinder and a 6x18 surface grinder which he delivered to my home about 10 kms away.
Total bill was $450 tax included.
Obviously local to me but searching for that sort of company might yield results.

This is the 22-ton press.

If I'm not mistaken the generic term for this kind of mover is a HIAB truck after the Swedish company that first invented them. The best such mover deal I've been able to find so far in my Hamilton ON area is $700 before taxes.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Yikes! That’s pretty steep.
Aside from never finding them, the notion of moving big machines has always steered me away from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk