• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

WTB: degausser / demagnetizer - prefer handheld

Jimbojones

I'm looking for a degausser that I can wave over things that have become magnetized...that I want to demagnetize.

These used to be somewhat common in the IT industry for tape erasure and about the size of a small iron. Now....I can't find them anywhere and the landfill is probably full of them.

Anyone got one gathering dust they want to give a new home to...or can provide a lead to a place that would still have these?

Jimbojones

Indeed; plenty of places if you want to spend that kind of money but I'm talking something made in 70/80's surplus variety...and a handle you can hold on to would be bonus.

Jimbojones

I'd also be open to suggestions re: how to demagnetize tools e.g. wrenches. Figured the degausser would be a canned solution...but maybe there are better ideas out there. To avoid a runaway conversations, I'm not interested in:
- heating them
- dropping/shocking them
- modifying them in any way
- creating a big electrified loop/field generator and passing through the middle of it

Like I said earlier...a handheld/iron-sized unit seemed to be a pretty good premade solution but I know there is a lot more experience/knowledge around here that may have better ideas....?

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
- creating a big electrified loop/field generator and passing through the middle of it
what about a small one? I've yet to construct one but YouTube has a few videos on different demagnetizers. Some small and commercially available, others are powered and repurposed electrical components. this has been on my list of projects and many DIY versions could use some cleaning up but appear to work. And no +$300

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I was looking at this one from Accusize (eastern Canada). I've seem some used on ebay for +/- similar cost but they are inherently heavy so shipping is the killer.
https://www.accusizetools.com/search.php?search_query=demag
** $103.00 in case the catalog page doesn't load properly **

I managed to magnetize a set of calipers (don't ask... it never even occurred to me at the time measuring magnet buttons for a project). But it was a real bugger keeping any kind of metal chips off the jaws & false readings thereafter. I think a de-mag would be a handy thing if you can justify it. the little units they sell for screwdrivers have never worked great for me. They seem mag good enough but not completely remove it for some reason.