• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Worth fixing up an old lathe?

Hadestouch

What are your thoughts For the guys new to machining, is it worth fixing up really old lathes or are we better off buying into new entry level Asian market?

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
There are others here with more wisdom than me, but it would depend on the price, the level of wear on the ways, broken/missing pieces, any tooling that comes with.

If the price is right I would sure take a chance on that one. Had a shaper that I just had to clean up and was good to go. Might be the same here. Looks like a solid machine!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I think it all depends upon how much time v.s. money you are willing to invest. Lots of people out there liking and using their Southbends. I ended up with way more machine buying a used SM than I could have gotten a new offshore for.

Mine's not quite as old as what you're looking at. What size is that thing?

Hadestouch

I’m
I think it all depends upon how much time v.s. money you are willing to invest. Lots of people out there liking and using their Southbends. I ended up with way more machine buying a used SM than I could have gotten a new offshore for.

Mine's not quite as old as what you're looking at. What size is that thing?
I don’t really know much about it. Including what size it is. In truth I don’t know much about lathes in general

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I’m an old lathe junkie, I like working on them.

I found it helpful to have some newer equipment to facilitate the repairs though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hadestouch

There are others here with more wisdom than me, but it would depend on the price, the level of wear on the ways, broken/missing pieces, any tooling that comes with.

If the price is right I would sure take a chance on that one. Had a shaper that I just had to clean up and was good to go. Might be the same here. Looks like a solid machine!

price is not an issue it’s in storage behind my shop.. My dad came across it years ago and never did anything with it. I’m told it has gear with some broken teeth and the chuck needs to be repaired or replaced

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Do you like fixing or do you want to start working with a lathe right away....I think starting with a working lathe is the best way to get interested in the hobby, then fixing up old junkers can be a reason to have a working lathe.

Hadestouch

I
Do you like fixing or do you want to start working with a lathe right away....I think starting with a working lathe is the best way to get interested in the hobby, then fixing up old junkers can be a reason to have a working lathe.
I suppose that depends on how much of a can of worms fixing it would be.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
The easiest step and one that will help you to decide if the next steps are worth it, is to disassemble the 4 jaw chuck, clean it up and lube etc. and make it work again. If you find that satisfying, then rebuild the tailstock and go from there....

I'm in the 'I love to rebuild machines' camp, and so for me it would be "yes"

Brent H

Ultra Member
Yes from me! If it is in the back shed in need of some lovin' then open your heart and begin the process. There are lots of folks on the forum here that can "virtually" lend you a hand and parts and pieces sometimes are mailed across the continent :) Have fun!

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I would definitely pull it out and have a better look at what your up against, lots of mystery right now, go through it spin things see whats working or not look for obvious defects (as you say gears) take some pics of anything that doesn't look right to you. The other thing is to figure out the power requirements for the unit that can affect your decision as well. I would be all over it looks like a fun project being and optimist I bet its gonna clean up good, and the thing to remember is that with the prices the way they are today, even if there is too much wrong with it it still may have value on the market as a fixxer upper and then you could take that money towards something that will do better for you.
Its a fun hobby for sure I am about 6 months in and I love it and the guys on here are very helpful if your unsure of things.