• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Winchester model 290 custom bolt handle

John Conroy

Premium Member
A friend of a friend has an old Winchester model 290 .22LR semi auto rifle. The original bolt handle has a plastic knob that tends to break off after years of use after the plastic get brittle with age. He asked if I could make an all metal replacement for him. I had him mail me his last intact factory piece and I made a reasonable copy from 303 stainless rod. I wanted to bore the handle portion hollow but he said he would prefer it solid, not hollow. He sent me a pic of it installed in the rifle after I mailed the new and original parts back to him. Here are some pics.

P5271055_zps8e676a9e.jpg

P5271057_zps285c22ab.jpg

final_zpsdcca54c1.jpg

P5291064_zps3e53baf7.jpg

IMG-20130605-00560_zpsaa3ce6e4.jpg

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Looks great!

I think solid is better too, unless the extra weight is a concern in some way?