• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Who Wants a Shaper?

molyknow

Alex
Premium Member
What I don’t understand is the very long out feed table. Like there is no way it’s stroke is that long

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
What I don’t understand is the very long out feed table. Like there is no way it’s stroke is that long

Support the length of part they are usually dealing with. ie keyway or splines on the end of a long shaft or something like that.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Shaper is 6000 lbs and is 240v 3ph. Nice machine. I already have a shaper & another one would just take space plus this one would take a lot more space but heck, upgrade.

TOBARApprentice

Super User
Anyone want to make a bet as to how much it sells for? I won’t bet because I may try to get it..... and that would be cheating and dishonest. How cool would it be to have a 24” shaper next to (eventually) the Monarch 10EE?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Anyone want to make a bet as to how much it sells for? I won’t bet because I may try to get it..... and that would be cheating and dishonest. How cool would it be to have a 24” shaper next to (eventually) the Monarch 10EE?

3a5ed43a7a03fec36f969cf522a53489.jpg

?

TOBARApprentice

Super User
Yup.... I get it! Pictured is my current basement shop..... temporary. I’m 46. By 52 I will have a full sized shop. So far I have a Norton 6 x 18 hydraulic surface grinder in storage with the future in mind. This shaper would be a nice addition to the storage unit.

Hacker

Super User
I don't have a clue what one of those would sell for. There was an auction last fall where one smaller that that went for just over 2000. This one looks like it is in good shape and as Tom has pointed out it is 240/480 so great machine to get for a home gamer. Will be interesting. There is also a big rotary chuck for sale in that auction.

Chipper5783

Also in the same auction a radial arm drill, probably would end way cheaper than continuing to fix the one I got for free (don't let common sense cloud your judgement).

TOBARApprentice

Super User
If I let common sense get in the way of my judgement (when it comes to machines and shop stuff) I wouldn’t have anywhere near the cool stuff that I do......

Everett

Super User
I saw that shaper too, even though the house we're moving to has a bigger garage it's still sadly too small for that unit. Nice machine though!

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I seen similar unit go for a bit over $1000. However, that unit was bigger - thus this one may go up and 6000 lbs through heavy is within reach of a home shop owner just barely. I am opting for over 1000 but under 2000. This is a shot in the dark - can go for a lot less or a bit more, but 1000 - 2000 seems to be the right range.

gerritv

Gerrit
Derek, I guess my/our therapy session last night was for naught then? :)
I'm confident that you will fit it in your shop, I have seen you do miracles before.

TOBARApprentice

Super User
They are three Wilesco “all brass” live steam traction engines. My moms boss had the identical 2 of the 3. When I was a kid we got to go to his house for the company Christmas party and he’d fire them so that my brother Trevor and I could see them go. Fast forward to 2004 I found all three on eBay. They were new, in the box and had never been fired. As soon as I received them I opened the boxes and set them going, excited to see them run as I had when I was 10 years old (20 years prior). I still have the boxes for each, but have not run them in 5 years or so..... maybe it’s time eh?

ff0f26e6debea78112c71089f4e566a2.jpg

Or are you referring to my ridiculous obsession with Eagle 66 oilers?

736938e9e9521c0276c327e045fbd503.jpg