• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

When does it start violating the rules, IF I were to....

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
How long til I get banned if I were to post every day asking "WHO THE HECK HAS MY LATHE!!!!?"

I'd hope that I'd annoy someone enough to locate a Colchester Student 2500 13x40 for me before I got banned.... or a Harrison M300 13x40 of course.

Anyone else wanna find out :p

Dont worry mods, I wont.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Looks like a nice lathe. Just curious how you landed on that brand for your wish list? I've seen this discussed in other forums where people had a notion of where they were made, probably dating back to where they were 'originally' made (UK). Anyways you probably researched this, but just putting it out there FWIW. Old links but this was the gist of it: was partnered/outsourced to Asia some time ago at least in the smaller hobby formats if I understand correctly.

Here's my understanding. Both Clausing/Cochester and Harrison are owned by the 600 Group, which is now having its smaller manual lathes made in China. Apparently, virtually identical lathes (without the Clausing or Harrison badge) can be had out of the same factories at much lower prices.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Looks like a nice lathe. Just curious how you landed on that brand for your wish list? I've seen this discussed in other forums where people had a notion of where they were made, probably dating back to where they were 'originally' made (UK). Anyways you probably researched this, but just putting it out there FWIW. Old links but this was the gist of it: was partnered/outsourced to Asia some time ago at least in the smaller hobby formats if I understand correctly.

Here's my understanding. Both Clausing/Cochester and Harrison are owned by the 600 Group, which is now having its smaller manual lathes made in China. Apparently, virtually identical lathes (without the Clausing or Harrison badge) can be had out of the same factories at much lower prices.

When the Chinese knock off one of these lathes and sell them cheaper they make them cheaper and not to the same finish specs.

I've seen hundreds of mainland chinese lathes and found they all suck... and wear quickly. Taiwanese are much better IMO,and I would buy one in good condition.

I selected these particular models for their specific size 13x40, their gearing and threading layout and capabilities, we know the machine so even as we get senile we can still use it without too much confusion, and finally the mass is just the right balance between moveable by ourselves and much heavier than we had so should get better finish on parts.

Oh we also said we'd like a standard modern... and if someone can post a chinese knock off that is identical to the student 2500 13x40 please do so, I'd buy it in a minute. I've never seen one

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Yeah seen it, but I appreciate the link. I think this is a 13x25 but I shall be previewing it and the SM plus some other items there. IMO it is likely rode hard... my FIL worked at magna intl.

I'm not sure how the online live auctions go though...

IF anyone does bid be careful... it is missing the steady rest, which can be found in an EARLIER lot of junk in a cabinet

Last edited:

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
just a reminder...

Still haven't found the lathe my brother is looking for. Seen a lot of possibilities, been catfished on one to be used as a stalking horse, missed two at auction and passed on many more at auction.

This one does present an interesting proposition, it is a Taiwanese lathe, 14x36, only 4" shorter than we wanted. 5HP 2 speed motor, 2" through the bore and very heavy. Comes with taper attachment as well as all the usual bits 'n bobs including nice big 4 jaw chuck. You may know this lathe more as Enco 405Gx1000

Funny thing is that I tried to get my brother to buy this same model in Ajax in October that in hind sight we should have bought because it was only 3K. At the time he hadn't decided on a larger lathe.

186b4e7e-4236-4b8a-a247-f49f39da0646

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
just a reminder...

Still haven't found the lathe my brother is looking for. Seen a lot of possibilities, been catfished on one to be used as a stalking horse, missed two at auction and passed on many more at auction.

This one does present an interesting proposition, it is a Taiwanese lathe, 14x36, only 4" shorter than we wanted. 5HP 2 speed motor, 2" through the bore and very heavy. Comes with taper attachment as well as all the usual bits 'n bobs including nice big 4 jaw chuck. You may know this lathe more as Enco 405Gx1000

Funny thing is that I tried to get my brother to buy this same model in Ajax in October that in hind sight we should have bought because it was only 3K. At the time he hadn't decided on a larger lathe.

186b4e7e-4236-4b8a-a247-f49f39da0646

I forgot the downside of this particular lathe. It cannot be seen running, and would have to be inspected after a 5 hour drive to the lathe and then have to be hauled 5 hours back home, after a supposed 1:30 hour inspection and load time.

In December. Past two potentially horrendous lake effect snow zones.