• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

What's a CNC lathe screw machine?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor

What's a CNC lathe screw machine? Good video to answer that question.

@Alexander do you run these machines at work? I guess we're in Alberta not Switzerland so parts are massive not tiny.

What about you John @johnnielsen you love multiple steps in one op - do any swiss lathe stuff?

Anybody else run these kind of machines?

I noticed 98,000 hours on one of the machines in the video. wow.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Coincidentally I was just watching this video. Amazing machines & what a neat company.

johnnielsen

John (Makonjohn)
Premium Member

What's a CNC lathe screw machine? Good video to answer that question.

@Alexander do you run these machines at work? I guess we're in Alberta not Switzerland so parts are massive not tiny.

What about you John @johnnielsen you love multiple steps in one op - do any swiss lathe stuff?

Anybody else run these kind of machines?

I noticed 98,000 hours on one of the machines in the video. wow.

As a matter of fact, I had a swiss made cam driven lathe called a Traub model A42 (bigger version of a screw machine). That is the machine I used to make various simple parts like bushings, spacers and rollers for a trolley system by the thousands. It was a gravity feed machine and I loved operating it even though it kept me running to feed it material as it ate up bar stock at a tremendous rate.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
As a matter of fact, I had a swiss made cam driven lathe called a Traub model A42 (bigger version of a screw machine). That is the machine I used to make various simple parts like bushings, spacers and rollers for a trolley system by the thousands. It was a gravity feed machine and I loved operating it even though it kept me running to feed it material as it ate up bar stock at a tremendous rate.
Did you have to prep the material ie grind or turn it down to a precise diameter first? Got any pics?

John was that A42 a single spindle or one of those multiple spindle rotating machines that brings the work to different tools?

johnnielsen

John (Makonjohn)
Premium Member
Did you have to prep the material ie grind or turn it down to a precise diameter first? Got any pics?

John was that A42 a single spindle or one of those multiple spindle rotating machines that brings the work to different tools?

It was a single spindle machine with five cam driven tool slides, including tail stock, front and back tool posts on the cross slide, a part off slide and material stop plus another cam controlling the collet chuck. For the most part, I didn't have to prep the material as the ends of the material were typically a saw cut or a rolled finish bar end and slid through the main lathe spindle on it's own when pushed with the feed bar. Only bars that were super rough on the end needed to be touched up or squared off.

I had mine set up to make 1 3/8" diameter rollers out of 6-6 nylon. The rollers had a large radius on one end to fit 3" aluminum wide flange track and a stepped hole in the other end for the trolley wheel shafts to fit. Including opening the chuck, advancing the material and performing the machining cycle, it took 5.5 seconds apiece.

Here is a video of a machine set up to work a steel bar into product.

This machine could tap from the tailstock with a double spindle set up. It could auto reverse. It could thread mill and/or polygon mill flats in front or behind a machined shoulder. It could be set up with a vibratory blank feeder to perform second operation machining with no operator touching the pieces. Of course, it could catch the piece and place it in a catcher basket.

Attachments

• Traub A42.jpg
    Traub A42.jpg
    500.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Traub A42.jpg 2.jpg
    Traub A42.jpg 2.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 8

johnnielsen

John (Makonjohn)
Premium Member
We had a Wickman 6 spindle chucker but never used it, It was pretty cool to see 5 pieces flying around in 6 inch chucks on a huge carousel. The machine weighed 12,000 pounds.

Last edited: